Old 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Snakes

Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot, I saw
a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's such a
friendly snake". (And to think I've been married to this goose of a man
for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness and they
said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding season. My
response was that I thought they bred earlier in the season. Neighbour then
said that it could be that they are shedding their skins now and that is why
they are cranky. I checked with a friend whose son has pythons and she said
they do get cranky when they shed their skins and that she once had to help
to wrestle a snake into a bathtub to aid it when it failed to shed as it
should and it got super cranky.

The sum total of this all these exchanges made me realise that although I
frequently see snakes, I don't know lot about them. I know a fair amount
about the birds and other animals aroudn here but not snakes.

Does anyone know anythign about the life cycle of snakes? Or a good book on
the subject?

Old 10-03-2009, 02:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:15:00 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

[...]

It'll probably be one with "SNAKES" in the title.... (:-))

Old 10-03-2009, 03:10 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

also would have been helpful if you informed us where *here* is

use google it may be your friend
this link is a good start

Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Books are out. The Net is in...

It'll probably be one with "SNAKES" in the title.... (:-))

Yep google webpage put in "Australian snakes and their habits"

This is what I got
# [PDF]
Whip Snakes & Marsh Snakes
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Yellow-faced Whip Snakes and their relatives extend over much of.
Australia. While plentiful in most habitats, they tend to avoid moist ...
http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/inquiry/fac...eaflet0022.pdf
#
Jennifer Marohasy: Crikey! Burn Habitat To Save Endangered Snake
"Rick reveals the threats to their bush habitat in south-eastern New
South Wales. ..... Australian Museum. Threats to the Broad-headed Snake
- ...
http://www.jennifermarohasy.com/blog...es/001612.html

# [PDF]
Habitat requirements of the threatened snake species Hoplocephalus ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
but information on their habitat requirements should be central to
management planning. ...... is the case with other arboreal Australian
snakes, struc- ...
http://www.bio.usyd.edu.au/Shinelab/...habitatreq.pdf -

#
Spectacular Snakes of Australia
of their heads, as opposed to the small, bead-like scales present in
carpet pythons. ... habitat west of Townsville. Spectacular Snakes of
Australia ...
http://www.publish.csiro.au/samples/...a%20sample.pdf

Old 10-03-2009, 06:33 AM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot,
I saw a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's
such a friendly snake". (And to think I've been married to this
goose of a man for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness and
they said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding
season. My response was that I thought they bred earlier in the
season.

They breed in spring as soon as it is warm enough to allow them to move
about easily. Which is why you will find them moving about more at that
time, they are looking for a mate. We find the most snake road kill at that
time.

David

Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 AM posted to aus.gardens

wrote:

[...]

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm asking
a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so must be
interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too stupid to give a
cogent response.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 AM posted to aus.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
Are there any amateur herpitologists reading here?

Yesterday just after having spent hours working in a particular spot,
I saw a Tiger Snake there. When I told my husband he said, "But he's
such a friendly snake". (And to think I've been married to this
goose of a man for nearly 40 years!)

Anyway, I was telling a neighbour this tale of husband silliness and
they said that snakes are cranky at the moment as it's breeding
season. My response was that I thought they bred earlier in the
season.

They breed in spring as soon as it is warm enough to allow them to move
about easily. Which is why you will find them moving about more at that
time, they are looking for a mate. We find the most snake road kill at
that time.

Thanks for that. I'd thought they bred in Spring too.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:31 PM posted to aus.gardens

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:50:10 +1100, FarmI wrote:

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too stupid
to give a cogent response.

Isn't this AUStin, texas Gardening?

Old 13-03-2009, 12:11 AM posted to aus.gardens

terryc wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:50:10 +1100, FarmI wrote:

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too stupid
to give a cogent response.

Isn't this AUStin, texas Gardening?

Rattlers are everywhere!

Old 13-03-2009, 08:02 AM posted to aus.gardens

"jonno" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:50:10 +1100, FarmI wrote:

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too stupid
to give a cogent response.

Isn't this AUStin, texas Gardening?

Rattlers are everywhere!

Stirrers with brown arms too......

Old 13-03-2009, 12:10 PM posted to aus.gardens

SG1 wrote:
"jonno" wrote in message
terryc wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:50:10 +1100, FarmI wrote:

If anyone reading my post is too stupid to figure out that since I'm
asking a question about snakes in the Australian garden group and so
must be interested in Australian snakes then they are clearly too stupid
to give a cogent response.
Isn't this AUStin, texas Gardening?

Rattlers are everywhere!

Stirrers with brown arms too......

Not surprising. Kev in used the sh*t word, so every did!
The Nation's full of it.
Old 13-03-2009, 01:48 PM posted to aus.gardens

FarmI wrote:
wrote:

[...]

With due respect, that was an uncalled for response!
At last look, Australia was a land of some 3000km by 2700 km (I won't
argue discrepancies in these figures)
And! there were different species of animals and reptiles in different
areas.
Methinks the responders question was quite reasonable and definitely did
not deserve such a reply from OP. In my opinion the only one who could
be considered stupid would be .... well I'll leave that open to
interpretation ;-0

annonnymouse
Old 13-03-2009, 10:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

a_nonny_mouse wrote:
FarmI wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Its sad that you have to be anonomous to a response here at times due to
viscous responses...
Bad tempered ladysnake?