Old 30-03-2004, 07:02 AM
magoo

Default Snow Gum

I have a snow gum which is a couple of years old now and about 3m high. On
some branches there are small splits with a little sap oozing out. This is
not a wide spread thing, only on some of the main branches. Too look at it,
it's almost as if the tree is growing faster than the bark can support it.
I understand the reason behind the sap, but not sure why the small splits
have occurred on the branches. I recall this happened last year too, but
with no (obvious at least) adverse affects. Anyone any ideas?

Old 30-03-2004, 10:32 AM
China

G'day Magoo,
Mr. Magoo where are you, Mr Magoo where is the
Eucalypt, Oh Magoo where did you get the Snow gum from, give us some info
to go on, is this tree growing down in the Snowy? .... (:-) ....

China
Wingham
NSW

p.s. Amateurs built the Ark.
It took professionals to build the Titanic!

Old 02-04-2004, 04:36 AM
magoo

China, the tree (and according to the label when I bought it, is a dwarf
snow gum) is growing in the northern part of Canberra and purchased from a
local nursery. Like I mentioned before, the tree appears to be very
healthy, there is a lot of new growth and its shape is near perfect. The
splits (and don't get me wrong, there aren't too many of them - maybe 4 or
5?) are on some of the larger trunk areas of the tree and most are not more
than an inch long. I realise it happens out in the bush so maybe it's just
a tree thing....

Magoo.

On 30/3/04 7:19 PM, in article
, "China"

Old 02-04-2004, 05:53 AM
China

G'day again Magoo,
I don't thing there is much you can or
should do, save sit back and watch what happens. Eucalypts are not big on
being grown in pots in the nursery, and don't think much of conventional
feeding and gardening. If in doubt do nothing. You live close to where the
Snow Gums grow, but they don't extend their natural range that far as far as
I know, so there is probably a reason. Keep us informed, and by the way, we
are all staying at your place next ski season.

China
Wingham
NSW

Old 02-04-2004, 06:05 AM
China

G'day again Magoo,
I don't thing there is much you can or
should do, save sit back and watch what happens. Eucalypts are not big on
being grown in pots in the nursery, and don't think much of conventional
feeding and gardening. If in doubt do nothing. You live close to where the
Snow Gums grow, but they don't extend their natural range that far as far as
I know, so there is probably a reason. Keep us informed, and by the way, we
are all staying at your place next ski season.

China
Wingham
NSW

snow snow snow! Janet Tweedy[_2_] United Kingdom 11 18-01-2013 09:37 PM
Flowers on snow gum Scott Australia 0 13-08-2005 11:37 PM
What's eating our gum trees? Andrew G Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM
Can I chop height off: (1) gum tree (2) leylandii Rosie United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 11:32 AM
Scribbly Gum John Smith Australia 0 22-02-2003 11:37 PM