Old 05-05-2004, 06:06 AM
Han Chung

Default Trees/hedges for privacy

Hi,

I'm looking for a 7-10 foot tall hedge-like plant to give me some
privacy from neighbours. It will be in a full sun position and I need
something that doesn't grow too wide as it has to grow in a fairly
narrow 1.5 feet wide corridor. Also, something fast growing would be
preferable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Han.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 PM
Loosecannon

"Han Chung" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a 7-10 foot tall hedge-like plant to give me some
privacy from neighbours. It will be in a full sun position and I need
something that doesn't grow too wide as it has to grow in a fairly
narrow 1.5 feet wide corridor. Also, something fast growing would be
preferable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Han.

Hi

Would suggest the wedding bush ie Ricinocarpus tuberculatus or glauca. Grow
quick, are natives and don't mind a haircut. You could also try the dwarf
lilipilis ie Syzygium these come in verigated leaf.

Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
freebird

"Han Chung" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I'm looking for a 7-10 foot tall hedge-like plant to give me some
privacy from neighbours. It will be in a full sun position and I need
something that doesn't grow too wide as it has to grow in a fairly
narrow 1.5 feet wide corridor. Also, something fast growing would be
preferable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Han.

Wattles grow very quick, look beautiful and can be pruned into shape.

---

Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Jerome Morrow

I have Christmas trees - don't know the latin name for them. But they do
very well in the full sun area.

They grow quite fast to form a nice hedge barrier and I need to give them a
good prune every 3 years or so.

"Loosecannon" wrote in message
. au...

Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Ken Oaf

On Thu, 6 May 2004 08:44:08 +1000, "freebird" wrote:

I'm looking for a 7-10 foot tall hedge-like plant to give me some
privacy from neighbours. It will be in a full sun position and I need
something that doesn't grow too wide as it has to grow in a fairly
narrow 1.5 feet wide corridor. Also, something fast growing would be
preferable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Han.

Wattles grow very quick, look beautiful and can be pruned into shape.

And only live for 8-10 years.

Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Terry Collins

Ken Oaf wrote:

Wattles grow very quick, look beautiful and can be pruned into shape.

And only live for 8-10 years.

So? It allows you to have something new in 8-10 years, so you can phase
in other plants.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:04 PM
gl

For such a narrow area, look at some non-invasive bamboos (there are
hundreds). Many beautiful varieties, and very hardy. Get a clumping, upright
variety that will screen without requiring lots of space. They have had an
undeserved bad reputation, but there are many fantastic non-invasive
varieties that I only found out about recently. I was hunting for a similiar
hedging plant recently (but I wanted it next to a pool, so I didn't want
anything that drops leaves) and found that bamboo was a great choice.
For more info try http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/ or
http://www.bambooworld.com.au/

Old 07-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Han Chung

"gl" wrote in message ...

For such a narrow area, look at some non-invasive bamboos (there are
hundreds). Many beautiful varieties, and very hardy. Get a clumping, upright
variety that will screen without requiring lots of space. They have had an
undeserved bad reputation, but there are many fantastic non-invasive
varieties that I only found out about recently. I was hunting for a similiar
hedging plant recently (but I wanted it next to a pool, so I didn't want
anything that drops leaves) and found that bamboo was a great choice.
For more info try http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/ or
http://www.bambooworld.com.au/

Thanks for the suggestion. My parents' house had some problems with
bamboo. I'm not sure what variety they were, but we eventually had to
pull out all the runners one by one over several months before
completely eradicating the bamboo. The lawn was an absolute mess by
then.

I'll have a look at some of the less invasive varieties.

Cheers,

Han.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Terry Collins

Han Chung wrote:

....snip....
I'll have a look at some of the less invasive varieties.

I have found that roundup/zero effective on bamboo.

Old 08-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Jade

We have a lovely mock orange, and it's huge, but not wide, and much of it is
in full sun.
Ours is easily 9 ft tall at the moment, though it needs trimming. :0)
Hope this helps!
Jade.

Old 08-05-2004, 08:02 AM
David Hare-Scott

Ken Oaf wrote:

Wattles grow very quick, look beautiful and can be pruned into

shape.

And only live for 8-10 years.

So? It allows you to have something new in 8-10 years, so you can phase
in other plants.

There are 100s of species of acacias, so let's not generalise too much. Not
all of them are short lived, not all of them grow to 15m (by a long stretch)
and not all of them are good for firewood. Some research might find a
wattle that is suitable for the purpose and will grow in the required area.

David

Trees for privacy? G-Force Gardening 0 21-02-2007 10:03 AM
Create a haven of privacy with the right trees and shrubs [email protected] Gardening 0 18-05-2006 04:09 AM
Fast growing trees to provide privacy? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 02-09-2005 09:22 AM
Large fruit trees for privacy? [email protected] Edible Gardening 6 05-07-2005 02:07 AM
These trees quickly add privacy and a sound barrier (plantman article) Earl Gardening 0 03-03-2005 04:30 PM