Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Large fruit trees for privacy?

What are the largest fruit trees? We're replacing an Indian Laurel
Fig, which was about 30' X 30'. Are there any edible trees that get
that big? We live in San Diego (Sunset Zone 24).

Thanks,
-Carl

Old 20-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Elizabeth

wrote in message
oups.com...
What are the largest fruit trees? We're replacing an Indian
Laurel
Fig, which was about 30' X 30'. Are there any edible trees that
get
that big? We live in San Diego (Sunset Zone 24).

Thanks,
-Carl

A tremendous selection of subtropical fruit trees exists for
cultivation in your coastal location. Springing to mind: citrus on
std rootdtocks (grapefuit, lemon, orange, some mandarins, pummelo
etc..).
also, avocado,cherimoya, white sapote, mango,litchi (slowly),
edible fig, macadamia, persimmon, carob, olive.
Others which will get at least 15 - 20' include, loquat, pineapple
guava, tropical guava, carambola, semi-dwf citrus (including limes
and kumquats), jujube. Peaches, apples, nectarines, plums and
pears all have varieties that are suitable for your mild winters
too. Suggest visiting a local fruit tree nursery. Email me if you
need some suggestions.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 24-06-2005, 05:17 AM

Thanks John. Our climate is very mild, usually no frost in the winter,
and not too much hot weather either. I know macadamia's grow here,
along with citrus and avocado. I'll have to look up lillypilly. I had
not heard of it.

-Carl

Old 28-06-2005, 02:26 AM
John Savage

writes:
Thanks John. Our climate is very mild, usually no frost in the winter,
and not too much hot weather either. I know macadamia's grow here,
along with citrus and avocado. I'll have to look up lillypilly. I had
not heard of it.

On second thoughts, the leaves are smaller than most fruit trees so
probably not as dense as you may want "for privacy". Also the trunk
doesn't seem to branch as close to the ground as do say, apple trees, so
it depends on whether you want to block out neighbours at ground level or
from a multi-storey block of apartments. Just avoid planting near a path
because unless you pick all the fruit every year, it has to drop and rot
and this makes a slippery mess on concrete for a couple of weeks. Over
grass it's fine. There are many varieties of lillypilly, some are small
compact trees, some huge and spreading, and I'd expect their fruit would
differ a bit too.

Also, have you considered a mulberry? They do grow fast! and have dense
leaves, but I think they drop their leaves in winter so your privacy
would be seasonal but it means that the grass around the tree gets a
chance to get some sunlight and grow. The birds will make a mess of
nearby clotheslines, cars, balconies, etc. unless you net the tree, but
you say you've had a fig so I expect you've had it netted or you would
not have tasted any fruit; besides, the edible fig is deciduous, too, isn't
it?

Then there's the quince, deciduous, but it will need spraying for some pests.
The big advantage of the macadamia and lillypilly (I think lillypilly is the
correct spelling) is that here in Australia at least it seems free of insect
pests, though this might not hold in the US.

I'm wondering whether the tropical mango might do okay? It grows into a
big tree, and has delicious fruit. I've heard conflicting reports about
whether it does need spraying for fruit fly or not, though the taste of the
fruit might make that worthwhile. How long it takes to grow and start
fruiting is something I can't answer. It might be frost tender until it gets
established. I think it is not deciduous but don't take my word on that.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:07 AM
Doug Freyburger

Elizabeth wrote:
wrote:

What are the largest fruit trees? We're replacing an Indian
Laurel Fig, which was about 30' X 30'. Are there any edible
trees that get
that big? We live in San Diego (Sunset Zone 24).

A tremendous selection of subtropical fruit trees exists for
cultivation in your coastal location. Springing to mind: citrus on
std rootdtocks (grapefuit, lemon, orange, some mandarins, pummelo
etc..).
also, avocado,cherimoya, white sapote, mango,litchi (slowly),
edible fig, macadamia, persimmon, carob, olive.

Avocado and carob trees are reasonably common on So Cal.
They get *huge* in comparison to most other types of
fruit trees. Maybe even too big to provide provacy.
Plant a row and eventually their foliage will be higher
than a person stands. The big trunks aren't much of a
visual screen.

Others which will get at least 15 - 20' include, loquat, pineapple
guava, tropical guava, carambola, semi-dwf citrus (including limes
and kumquats), jujube. Peaches, apples, nectarines, plums and
pears all have varieties that are suitable for your mild winters
too. Suggest visiting a local fruit tree nursery. Email me if you
need some suggestions.

Maybe a combination of the tall trees and some shorter
full ones? Pomegrante isn't very tall but it grows
wide and full almost bush-like. If some fruit with a
similar shape grows okay in the semi-shade under a
bigger tree type, it should work.

The nursery that I could recommend from when we lived in
Los Angeles is on Lankershem near the 170. Too far to go
for someone in San Diego.

Trees for privacy? G-Force Gardening 0 21-02-2007 10:03 AM
Create a haven of privacy with the right trees and shrubs [email protected] Gardening 0 18-05-2006 04:09 AM
Fast growing trees to provide privacy? [email protected] United Kingdom 9 02-09-2005 09:22 AM
These trees quickly add privacy and a sound barrier (plantman article) Earl Gardening 0 03-03-2005 04:30 PM
Trees/hedges for privacy Han Chung Australia 12 08-05-2004 08:02 AM