Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Crimson Castle

Default Killing Weeds and using them as compost

Hello,

I'm thinking of using my weeds as compost. But my gardener told me to forget
about it. He argues that its pointless placing the weeds into the compost
bin and then using them as mulch (in three months time or so) because the
seeds often don't die - and you end up seeding your garden with the darn
weed seeds. He now insists that only lawn grass clippings get placed into
the compost bin.... well that's another story.

In the ancient past I'd put the weeds into a concrete compost oven and cook
and bake the darn things - then use it. But we are not allowed to do that
now - due to council by-laws.

I thought of placing the weeds into a special big plastic tub in a far
corner of the backyard- and then letting them soak in crappy water and some
manure for a month or so. Would that help to kill the weed seeds?

Cheers,

Crimson

--
Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common