Old 25-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Staycalm

Default Silver birches

I've been offered three free silver birch saplings (not sure how big) that
will be dug out of someone elses yard as they don't want them anymore. Can I
get away with transplanting them now or is it already too late? What would I
need to do to prepare, plant and then help them survive if I accepted them?

I have in mind a south facing area of the garden in our front yard, clay
type soil, in an area where a magnolia was a victim of the drought, and no
overhead wires. Could I plant the three trees close together? How far apart
would be optimum? How much space would I look at needing for these trees to
grow? The yard isn't huge so I don't think I'd want something that was too
bushy. I would like to put a pebble path around them, some long garden beds
on the other side of the path, with a garden seat under them to catch the
shade in the summer.

Liz

Old 25-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Amy Lou

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I've been offered three free silver birch saplings (not sure how big) that
will be dug out of someone elses yard as they don't want them anymore. Can

get away with transplanting them now or is it already too late? What would

need to do to prepare, plant and then help them survive if I accepted

them?

Lucky you! If they are not too big I think they will be easy to transplant
(though according to my book they should be transplanted in autumn). I have
one in my yard (I grew it from seed). They are beautiful trees. Mine doesn't
need any particular attention and its in clay-loam. The roots tend to be
very close to the surface though so its difficult to dig around it for
planting annuals. I've seen silver birches planted close together and they
look lovely.

Amy

Old 25-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Andrew G

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
I've been offered three free silver birch saplings (not sure how big) that
will be dug out of someone elses yard as they don't want them anymore. Can

get away with transplanting them now or is it already too late? What would

need to do to prepare, plant and then help them survive if I accepted

them?

They are going to be dug out anyway, they are free, so try them anyway,
apart from some manual labour there is nothing to lose.
Ensure the tree isn't suffering from drought, if it is water well a day or 2
before transplanting.
Have hole predug so you can just drop the tree into the new spot, prepare it
by adding some gypsum to your clay soil, or if it isn't too bad leave it or
add some organic matter.
Dig the ground at the drip line, that's where the branches end. If it's big,
and that will be too much soil to take dig in a little closer to the trunk
to a size you think you can handle. Try and keep as much soil on the roots
as you can.
I'm not sure if it's the right time, you may have just missed it. I know
with bonsai the deciduous ones are generally rootpruned towards end of
winter and repotted as they aren't yet vigourously growing, but as they
throw new shoots the roots will also grow to match. In which case it's still
worth a go for you

Old 25-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Staycalm

"Andrew G" wrote in message
news

"Staycalm" wrote in message
u...
[...]

Thanks! This all makes sense. Will claybreaker do instead of gypsum? Should
I try to raise a bed or keep it at ground level? How close together do you
think I could get away with planting them?

Liz

Old 26-09-2004, 05:35 AM
Amy Lou

"Staycalm"

How close together do you
think I could get away with planting them?

I'm not real sure but I think two feet apart would be as close as I would
put them. If you live in a water restriction area maybe you should think
about just planting one?

Amy

Old 27-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Andrew G

"Staycalm" wrote in message news:41554c59

Thanks! This all makes sense. Will claybreaker do instead of gypsum?

Should
I try to raise a bed or keep it at ground level? How close together do you
think I could get away with planting them?

Liz

Yeah, claybreaker is the same stuff.
Raising the ground level will help in the way of drainage and in adding good
soil, but on the downside is if you are in a drought tolerant area then you
may need to water more often.
I'd keep ground level.
No idea on how close sorry.
Good luck

Multi-stemmed birches Ornata United Kingdom 8 12-04-2007 11:30 AM
Birches Old stoat United Kingdom 2 25-09-2006 10:13 PM
'Pruning' Silver Birches ? bizzimummi Australia 1 23-01-2005 09:56 AM
IDing seedling or sapling paper birches Etakbear alt.forestry 0 10-08-2003 09:22 PM
Silver birches David A. King United Kingdom 0 17-07-2003 09:42 PM