Old 07-11-2004, 05:37 AM
Basil Chupin

Geodyne wrote:
Has anyone heard anything about the proposed axeing of Gardening
Australia?

I heard about it he
http://www.livejournal.com/community...1.html?#cutid1,
but this is the first I've heard. If it's true, then there needs to be
a public action taken. I'd hate to see then end of that marvelous
show.

Geodyne

Burke's Backyard (on the commercial channel) is being axed.

Haven't heard anything about Gardening Australia.

Cheers.

--
Sound that shatters silence is called noise. Sound that enhances silence
is called music.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Amy Lou

"Geodyne" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone heard anything about the proposed axeing of Gardening
Australia?

No, but I have heard that the ABC wants to move it from Hobart to Melbourne.
The staff who have worked with the show since its conception are furious.

Amy

Old 08-11-2004, 07:05 AM
len gardener

g'day geodyne,

have heard that there is a shake up in the offing for ga, and that the
yuppie burkie is going going gone.

len

ssnipped
--
happy gardening

my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Geodyne

len gardener wrote in message . ..
g'day geodyne,

have heard that there is a shake up in the offing for ga, and that the
yuppie burkie is going going gone.

Well, losing Burke can only be a good thing - he's a great promoter,
but a bad horticulturist.

But GA? Even if it's moved to Melbourne and still runs, without the
staff and presenters the program may as well be gone.

Old 09-11-2004, 12:46 AM
len gardener

agree i reckon they got rid of too many good ones last time, and
waht's wrong with doc goldfinger hey, we need a bit of off the cuff
stuff at times anyway his info was right on for my part.

ga went downhill too far last time for my liking.

i was told that before the berk went on tv to make money telling
others how and what to grow he was supposed to have said"i know
nothing about growing anything but i'm going to make money out of
telling others what to do", guess he probably made his money by now
huh?

anyhow chin up maybe we can start a good down to earth program huh
lol.

len

snipped

Old 10-11-2004, 11:28 PM
John Savage

len gardener writes:
i was told that before the berk went on tv to make money telling
others how and what to grow he was supposed to have said"i know
nothing about growing anything but i'm going to make money out of
telling others what to do", guess he probably made his money by now
huh?

I think they estimated he took home $8 million last year alone. But
I'm not critical of Burkie, I liked the variety in his tv program.
Yet I can't overlook the fact that his much touted "Burkes Backyard
Tomatoes" were a monumental flop according to all reports. Didn't
grow well, didn't bear well, lacked taste. They disappeared off the
nursery shelves and were never mentioned again, AFAIR.

Len, you might not know that Don Burke had a 3-hour gardening program
on the radio on Sat and Sun here in Sydney for quite a few years before
he moved over to television. The program has continued on, with a name
change and in the capable hands of Shirley Stackhouse. Its format is
that listeners ring in and ask questions about their plant's malaise,
typically. It would be difficult to bluff your way through that year
after year, with other listeners ready to ring in and set him right if
he was ever heard to make a wrong call.

Old 11-11-2004, 09:27 PM
BCL

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:28:03 GMT, John Savage
wrote:

he moved over to television. The program has continued on, with a name
change and in the capable hands of Shirley Stackhouse. Its format is
that listeners ring in and ask questions about their plant's malaise,
typically. It would be difficult to bluff your way through that year
after year, with other listeners ready to ring in and set him right if
he was ever heard to make a wrong call.

I think you will find most if not all ABC regional radio stations have
a similar program only the experts and presenters change.

In the Illawarra we have local fellow on at 8.30am on Saturday and on
the odd ocassion he has been on holiday they take a feed from Tamworth
or the Mid North coast

Regards
Bruce
Old 12-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Charles

BCL wrote:

I think you will find most if not all ABC regional radio stations have
a similar program only the experts and presenters change.

Yes that's true I expect, no matter where in the country one is.

I think, though, that the point John was making was that the claim
regarding Don Burke knowing nothing about plants was quite clearly rot, as
he had fronted one such program on radio for years. (And given the nature
of troubleshooting live on air)

I am *no* fan of Burke's (nor his stable of TV programs) but can see no
value in such ridiculous statements.

Charles
--
If some days are diamonds &
Some days are stone --
Old 12-11-2004, 10:10 PM
BCL

On 12 Nov 2004 09:24:28 GMT, Charles wrote:

I think, though, that the point John was making was that the claim
regarding Don Burke knowing nothing about plants was quite clearly rot, as
he had fronted one such program on radio for years. (And given the nature
of troubleshooting live on air)

I think also he used to teach at TAFE in the long distanr past because
a fellow I work with reckoned he was one of the tutors when he did
something horticultural many years ago.

Obviously hearsay but I had no reason to doubt it at the time. It
seems likely because the current local radio bloke is a tutor at
Yallah Horticultural TAFE.

Regards
Bruce

Old 13-11-2004, 08:15 AM
Fran

"Charles" wrote in message

I think, though, that the point John was making was that the claim
regarding Don Burke knowing nothing about plants was quite clearly rot,

But it's astounding how often his TV prog says of any plant it features
"plant in full sun" and so oftent aht is just not the correct advice.

I now look for such sillies or similar on his show and am seldom
disappointed.

And havve you never noticed how "Gardening Australia" will feature a
subject/topic/plant on one week and Don will do the same in the next week?

Old 14-11-2004, 12:57 AM
Charles

"Fran" wrote:
"Charles" wrote in message

I think, though, that the point John was making was that the claim
regarding Don Burke knowing nothing about plants was quite clearly
rot,

But it's astounding how often his TV prog says of any plant it
features "plant in full sun" and so oftent aht is just not the correct
advice.

Fair enough....I never watch his show so I can't comment except to say that
such occurances do not (in themselves) mean he (Burke) knows nothing about
plants...just that there are clearly production issues regarding fact
checking with the show.

Charles
Old 15-11-2004, 09:36 AM
Chookie

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

Len, you might not know that Don Burke had a 3-hour gardening program
on the radio on Sat and Sun here in Sydney for quite a few years before
he moved over to television.

He was also a grevillea breeder for years, and has been writing gardening
books for a fair while. The Lazy Gardener is his -- think it was written a
good 20 years ago. Saw a new book of his today called "indigenous" -- about
his native garden. Anyone who promotes natives must be all right!

I heard him speak a few years ago at Mt Annan (the Australian Plants Society
Sale day) and was quite impressed. He's an eco-nut like most of us gardeners,
but probably can't be as outspoken on commercial TV as Peter Cundall can be on
ABC.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"Life is like a cigarette -- smoke it to the butt." -- Harvie Krumpet
Old 15-11-2004, 10:31 AM
Chookie

In article ,
len gardener wrote:

ga went downhill too far last time for my liking.

What bit, Len? I'm very happy to see the strong push for organic gardening,
water-saving and permaculture (wwonder have any other mainstream gardening
shows run a series of articles on permaculture?).

i was told that before the berk went on tv to make money telling
others how and what to grow he was supposed to have said"i know
nothing about growing anything but i'm going to make money out of
telling others what to do", guess he probably made his money by now
huh?

Sounds like nonsense; he's been in the gardening scene for years. The only
thing I have heard about him is that he's difficult to work with because he
wants everything Just So, but I have no idea if it's true.

Old 15-11-2004, 10:34 AM
Chookie

In article ,
"Fran" wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message

I think, though, that the point John was making was that the claim
regarding Don Burke knowing nothing about plants was quite clearly rot,

But it's astounding how often his TV prog says of any plant it features
"plant in full sun" and so oftent aht is just not the correct advice.

For where, though? Might be full sun in Melbourne, but need shade in the
tropics. That's the problem with nationwide shows -- they have to be general.
I find GA a bit dull sometimes, when they talk about peonies or the troubles
of sandy or alkaline soil, but these are plainly very useful segments for some
gardeners.