Old 29-06-2005, 09:20 AM
NormL

Default Cherimoya (Custard Apple) - root question

Hi All;
I planted a Cherimoya (Custard Apple) a few months ago. It's really
looking a bit poorly with one small branch and four, healthy looking, green
leaves. It's just sitting there, doing nothing. Neither getting better or
worse!

Today, when I wasn't watching where I was going, I tripped over it.I
heard a loud crack and was convinced that I had broken the stem at ground
level. I dug it out to inspect the damage. It wasn't broken but the roots
sure didn't look very healthy.

There is no root hairs at all! There are a few stubs (short, thick, 20mm
long) that look like they were roots at one time - but no root hairs.

Is this normal? If not, how can I revive the plant?

Your advice would be appreciated.... Norm

Old 02-07-2005, 12:49 AM
Chookie

In article , "NormL"
wrote:

Hi All;
I planted a Cherimoya (Custard Apple) a few months ago. It's really
looking a bit poorly with one small branch and four, healthy looking, green
leaves. It's just sitting there, doing nothing. Neither getting better or
worse!

Today, when I wasn't watching where I was going, I tripped over it.I
heard a loud crack and was convinced that I had broken the stem at ground
level. I dug it out to inspect the damage. It wasn't broken but the roots
sure didn't look very healthy.

It sounds root-bound. Is your soil heavy? Did you dig a nice big hole when
planting, or one just big enough to fit the root ball in?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"In Melbourne there is plenty of vigour and eagerness, but there is
nothing worth being eager or vigorous about."
Francis Adams, The Australians, 1893.

Hand pollination of Custard apples Dan[_9_] Australia 0 21-10-2009 02:29 AM
New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
[IBC] Crab apple root gall kevin bailey Bonsai 46 14-03-2004 09:07 PM
Saddam Hussein in Custard Angkor Roses 1 07-08-2003 05:32 AM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM