Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Registered User

Default Wind Resistant Container Plants

Hi There

We live in a basement flat in West London. Entrance to both our front door and our garden is via a passage (with its own door) which runs down the side of the house. The passage is about 4 foot wide by 25 feet long and opens into a relatively large garden. We own the passageway.

I'd like to put some plants in containers to brighten it up but I know that many plants don't like wind and there can be a bit of a wind tunnel effect at times. Would bamboo work here?? Any other suggestions. The area can be fairky shady but the end nearest the garden faces west and gets some sun

Thanks
Lee
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"dibber" wrote in message

Hi There

We live in a basement flat in West London. Entrance to both our front
door and our garden is via a passage (with its own door) which runs
down the side of the house. The passage is about 4 foot wide by 25 feet
long and opens into a relatively large garden. We own the passageway.

I'd like to put some plants in containers to brighten it up but I know
that many plants don't like wind and there can be a bit of a wind
tunnel effect at times. Would bamboo work here?? Any other suggestions.
The area can be fairky shady but the end nearest the garden faces west
and gets some sun

Thanks Lee

Holly ? http://www.welsh-holly.co.uk/

Anything with waxy, hard leaves mught work.

Things to avoid are plants/shrubs with 'soft' leaves that will be ripped by the
wind.

I've found that Rhus works as a tree.

Some more hints at: http://wrightoutdoor.com/plants_windy.htm

Jenny

Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
DaveJ

"dibber" wrote in message

Hi There

We live in a basement flat in West London. Entrance to both our front
door and our garden is via a passage (with its own door) which runs
down the side of the house. The passage is about 4 foot wide by 25 feet
long and opens into a relatively large garden. We own the passageway.

I'd like to put some plants in containers to brighten it up but I know
that many plants don't like wind and there can be a bit of a wind
tunnel effect at times. Would bamboo work here?? Any other suggestions.

Small leaved hebe-not too large a variety.

Old 12-02-2006, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 12/2/06 15:22, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from dibber contains these words:

Hi There

We live in a basement flat in West London. Entrance to both our front
door and our garden is via a passage (with its own door) which runs
down the side of the house. The passage is about 4 foot wide by 25 feet
long and opens into a relatively large garden. We own the passageway.

I'd like to put some plants in containers to brighten it up but I know
that many plants don't like wind and there can be a bit of a wind
tunnel effect at times. Would bamboo work here?? Any other suggestions.
The area can be fairky shady but the end nearest the garden faces west
and gets some sun

You need rather large plant containers in a windy spot, otherwise they
blow over. 4 ft is a very narrow width even for able-bodied peopleto
walk down, carrying shopping, etc, and you might find it very annoying
to be dodging past big plant containers. Visitors with baby buggies,
zimmers, wheelchairs, bikes, delivery men with parcels and sack-trolleys
etc will find it even more awkward.

I don't know if this would work in a tub or pot but I've seen Lonicera
nitida grown as a pillar and assume one could keep it as 'thin' or as
'bushy' as wanted. What do you think, Janet?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-02-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"dibber" wrote in message

Hi There

We live in a basement flat in West London. Entrance to both our front
door and our garden is via a passage (with its own door) which runs
down the side of the house. The passage is about 4 foot wide by 25 feet
long and opens into a relatively large garden. We own the passageway.

I'd like to put some plants in containers to brighten it up but I know
that many plants don't like wind and there can be a bit of a wind
tunnel effect at times. Would bamboo work here?? Any other suggestions.
The area can be fairky shady but the end nearest the garden faces west
and gets some sun

Thanks
Lee

How about ferns ,in wall mounted baskets,or even planted in the cracks at
the base of the wall. You have a good choice from dainty-thugs.
You could blast a bit more light down the long passage with a strategically
placed mirror.
That last suggestion is too arty farty for me but might work for others ;-)

Old 14-02-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tahiri

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 12/2/06 15:22, in article ,

"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

[...]

But what about its container? Anything grown as a pillar in a windy
spot, will need a subsatntial container to prevent getting blown over.
My containers-in-windy-places are at least 24" across; there wouldn't be
enough room to site them in a 4ft wide alley and still have free access.

Janet

Janet

Be fair Janet, they are in London. Their 'wind tunnel' is probably more like
your gentle breeze. Its probably worth a try in something smaller.
T.

Old 14-02-2006, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 14/2/06 10:57, in article
, "tahiri"
wrote:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

snip seen Lonicera
nitida grown as a pillar and assume one could keep it as 'thin' or as
'bushy' as wanted. What do you think, Janet?

But what about its container? Anything grown as a pillar in a windy
spot, will need a subsatntial container to prevent getting blown over.
My containers-in-windy-places are at least 24" across; there wouldn't be
enough room to site them in a 4ft wide alley and still have free access.

Be fair Janet, they are in London. Their 'wind tunnel' is probably more like
your gentle breeze. Its probably worth a try in something smaller.
T.

No idea who you are or what your credentials are for that statement but
'wind tunnels' in London can be pretty appalling. And I write this as the
person who made the Lonicera in tubs suggestion. Only the OP can tell us if
it's a stiff breeze, a howling gale or a mere zephyr, don't you think?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-02-2006, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tahiri

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...
On 14/2/06 10:57, in article
, "tahiri"
wrote:
[...]

Okay, I take it back. We are in a windy part of North Wales and many English
people I encounter seem surprised that wind exists at all. It doesn't help
that weathermen so rarely mention it.
I also have a stray Lonicera myself that is about to end up in a pot,
although hopefully only as a temporary measure.
T.

Old 16-02-2006, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 16/2/06 8:48 am, in article
, "tahiri"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
id...

snip

No idea who you are or what your credentials are for that statement but
'wind tunnels' in London can be pretty appalling. And I write this as the
person who made the Lonicera in tubs suggestion. Only the OP can tell us
if
it's a stiff breeze, a howling gale or a mere zephyr, don't you think?
--

Okay, I take it back. We are in a windy part of North Wales and many English
people I encounter seem surprised that wind exists at all. It doesn't help
that weathermen so rarely mention it.
I also have a stray Lonicera myself that is about to end up in a pot,
although hopefully only as a temporary measure.
T.

The old 'location, location, location'! ;-) Cities are usually warmer but
often windier because of the alleyways created by buildings. We get some
horrid gales here at times but while we do have shelter belts, somehow the
wind seems more diffused overall because it isn't focused down one path or a
network of buildings. Pots in both garden and nursery get knocked over
sometimes, of course but we tend to leave them lie until the wind has blown
itself out. Constantly setting them upright, just to be knocked down again
is just giving the wind more chance to do its horrible damage.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk