Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Gordon Bowers

Jim Gremel wrote:

On Sep 10, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Bill Neff wrote:

In a message dated 9/6/2005 4:22:51 AM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

I find it interesting that the students of a major artist are still
taught
this method.
Bill

Boon is my teacher. He is certainly "a major artist", and he says to
put a drainage layer in the bottom of our pots. I believe it is
standard practice in Japan.

Sometime I hear or read that layered soils are bad because they will
create "perched water tables". I think every horticultural student
"learns" this. I would never want to buck science (even though that
seems to be a major sport in our country right now), but I would ask
the anti-layerers why layered soils work so well. After all, the best
and healthiest bonsai in the world have layered soils; so, why do they
work?

Actually, I am only mildly curious about it. I didn't layer the soil
for my first couple of decades. Now I do, using Boon's soil recipes, &
my trees are healthier than ever.

Jim

++++Sponsored, in part, by Bob Pastorio++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Could you tell me where I could find information on Boon's soil recipes?
Thanks

Gordon B
Aotearoa/New Zealand