Old 14-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] outdoor plants indoors

FWIW, I have had clover growing in the pot with one of my tropicals that
I brought indoors last fall. Just plain old clover. It was growing in
the pot when I brought it in, and never went dormant. It has actually
thrived there. It figures that it would thrive by accident. If I tried
to intentionally grow it in an accent pot it would probably die. Gives
me some thoughts about trying to cultivate it next winter just to see
what happens. I've had the tree with the clover under regular
fluorescent lights, watering when needed, and monthly fertilizer.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Iris Cohen

I have had clover growing in the pot with one of my tropicals that I
brought indoors last fall.

I doubt whether it is clover. It is probably Oxalis, a common weed. Some
growers leave small stands of Oxalis as an accent or companion plant, but it
has a tendency to take over.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-03-2003, 03:44 PM
Jerry Meislik

Craig,
Very interesting to hear about the clover doing well indoors. It reminds me
that we know so very little about plants that will survive indoors.
Probably though to be fair we should ask that a "true indoor plant" should
probably grow a minimum of two years indoors. Less than that and the plant
could be in survival mode.
Just some idle ramblings on my part.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
zone 3-4
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/
FWIW, I have had clover growing in the pot with one of my tropicals that
I brought indoors last fall. Just plain old clover. It was growing in
the pot when I brought it in, and never went dormant. It has actually
thrived there. It figures that it would thrive by accident. If I tried
to intentionally grow it in an accent pot it would probably die. Gives
me some thoughts about trying to cultivate it next winter just to see
what happens. I've had the tree with the clover under regular
fluorescent lights, watering when needed, and monthly fertilizer.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

************************************************** ****************************
**
************************************************** ****************************
**

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Craig Cowing

Jerry Meislik wrote:

Craig,
Very interesting to hear about the clover doing well indoors. It reminds me
that we know so very little about plants that will survive indoors.
Probably though to be fair we should ask that a "true indoor plant" should
probably grow a minimum of two years indoors. Less than that and the plant
could be in survival mode.
Just some idle ramblings on my part.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA

Well, I don't know if it's clover although it sure looks like it. Three-leafed
clover from what I can tell. No big deal either way. This wasn't a controlled
experiment. I might post a pic on the gallery if I get motivated.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 16-03-2003, 06:56 AM
Alan Walker

Craig: I suspect Iris is correct that this is Oxalis. If so, it is very invasive,
and you would do your bonsai a favor to keep it away. It is the worst problem to
get rid of this stuff to prepare for an exhibit.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
========