Old 17-03-2003, 08:08 PM
audgen

Default [IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot

Hello,
I've seen some of you mention having Crape Myrtle bonsai and so I'm hoping someone can help me a little with mine. I bought it a month or so ago from a landscape nursery and I've chopped it back to 3 "stubs"(apex and 2 branches) and it is about 9 inches
high now. I guess it would be about as severe as chopping the trunk. Should I repot now? Should I wait till Fall or next Spring? How tolerant are Crape Myrtles to root work?

Thanks for any help, and happy Springtime to all!
Audgen

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello,
I've seen some of you mention having Crape Myrtle bonsai and so
I'm hoping someone can help me a little with mine. I bought it a
month or so ago from a landscape nursery and I've chopped it back
to 3 "stubs"(apex and 2 branches) and it is about 9 inches high
now. I guess it would be about as severe as chopping the trunk.
Should I repot now? Should I wait till Fall or next Spring? How
tolerant are Crape Myrtles to root work?

Thanks for any help, and happy Springtime to all!

=============

I assume you live somewhere in zone 7-9, since that's where crape
myrtles grow best (but it always is nice to include that in a
message).

Anyway, since you essentially have a stump, I assume you weren't
going to put it into a bonsai pot, anyway, so there's no point in
repotting.

It probably would survive the ordeal of root pruning (if it
wasn't TOO extensive) but this tree isn't ready for life as a
bonsai, so why make it work? Let it put out new top growth this
summer while you make the choice of which of the zillions of
sprouts you'll get you want to keep, and do the root work NEXT
year just as the new year's sprouts come out.

You may even get blooms this year, since you won't be so worried
about keeping it looking like a bonsai rather than an octopus.
;-)

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Alan Walker

I'll just add a bit to Jim's good answer. Crape myrtles tolerate extensive
root pruning, especially in early spring. They grow easily from cuttings, even as
thick as 1"-2". At least that is my experience in the semi-tropical area (zone
8b-9a) in the Louisiana Gulf Coast.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
Jim Lewis wrote:
[...]

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL

To Repot or Not to Repot Jane Orchids 5 01-09-2008 04:31 PM
To repot or not to repot, that is the question Jane Orchids 21 03-04-2007 05:32 AM
[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
crape myrtle mardab Gardening 4 12-05-2003 02:32 AM