Old 09-05-2003, 06:32 AM
mardab

Default crape myrtle

I planted a 9 foot crape myrtle last fall. This spring the plant seems
to be dead but is starting to sprout new growth at the base. Is this
the way this palnt grows...new growth from the ground up or does it
just take a long time for the old branches to show buds? I'm in zone
5.
Old 10-05-2003, 01:44 AM

I'm in zone 5, mine dies off every year then sprouts from the bottom
up. I like to help it with miracle grow watering every two weeks, it
works. Mine are three years old and at present they look dead, in two
weeks they will be sprouting. Our warm weather is just beginning.

I brought these back from Huntersville, NC.

Penny Morgan wrote:

Yes, the new growth may take a bit longer in your zone. I'm in zone 7b and
our crepe myrtle's are just starting to really come in fully now with new
leaves. The leaves will sprout all the way from the ground to the top of
the tree. If you want to leave it, you will have a bush form of the tree.

What we do here is trim all the bottom leaves to expose the wood up to the
top of the tree. In other words, limb it up so you have a nicely shaped
canopy on top of the tree. It's really up to you how far to limb it up.
The new growth should be really soft and easy to snap off with your hands.

Good luck.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
m...

Old 12-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Judi

I'm in Connecticut and would love to try and grow a Crape Myrtle here. Can
anyone suggest a dealer or nursery where I may order one?

Judi

m...

Old 12-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Wishy13764

I'm in Connecticut and would love to try and grow a Crape Myrtle here. Can
anyone suggest a dealer or nursery where I may order one?

I live in NYC and have it since 1989 and still going strong. Pratically ignore
it and let nature water it and each July comes in gorgeous color and also has
terrific Fall color. Do not buy any from a Gainsville, Florida nursery. They
all died on me, but they were the dwarf type. Try Spring Hills nursery...there
aare so many that offer them these days. Do a Google search for more info.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 3 05-01-2004 04:32 AM
First Aid on a Crape Myrtle Helena Handbasket Bonsai 0 05-01-2004 12:02 AM
crape myrtle Wishy13764 Gardening 2 25-09-2003 12:12 AM
Where to buy crape myrtle? Mick Gardening 5 10-09-2003 03:32 PM
[IBC] Crape Myrtle Repot audgen Bonsai 2 17-03-2003 08:44 PM