Old 19-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Beckenbach,Joseph R

Default [IBC] Care of display stands

Katie, I agree with Roger on all this. I also have a few additional
suggestions. With the "miracle of modern science", there have been new
materials developed which can be applied with a brush and, when dry, do
not allow anything to penetrate. I know that the automobile people use
this type of material on windshields called "rain-x". There are
probably other brands. Water beads up on this and can be easily wiped
up. I have not used "rain-x" since I have a commercial sample used on
air conditioning coils to keep dust from sticking. That material works
very well and I would not hesitate to use the "rain-x" on my stands.
The wax won't stick to the coating but will stick wherever the coating
has warn off due to friction or uv exposure.

Also, I apply rubber pads to the bottom of my pots. At the art supply
house, I get sheets of "art foam" which is closed cell and does not
absorb water. I then apply small pieces with contact cement. I do this
before planting anything in the pot. If one of the pads falls off, I
just replace it. The pot, with the pads, goes on the growing bench.
Pick an appropriate color, brown or black. You'll have lots of choices.

Finally, use some corrugated cardboard and strapping tape, the type with
the threads in it, to make storage boxes for your stands and store them
away where they don't get damaged. Then you'll always have them in good
shape when you need them.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

From: "Helena Handbasket"

What kind of care is taken with the beautiful display stands used with
bonsai trees and accent plants? They are an art form in their own

right
and
I cringe to see pots with rough edges and trees that could possibly

leave
water damage. I'd love to put my trees on a lovely stand but don't
because
of the above concerns.

++++Sponsored, in part, by John Romano++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-10-2005, 02:59 PM
Kev Bailey

I was amazed at the apparently cavalier attitude to several hundred antique
stands in Kokofuten last February. These were all beauties and you would
think every effort to keep them pristine would be made. But no, the trees
were watered in-situ and runoff literally poured out and over the the stand
and table covers.

The only explanation I have gleaned is that these stands have been finished
to such a degree with many, many coats of black lacquer etc that they are
completely impervious to water damage.

I believe that the majority are hired, rather than bought, for the main
Japanese exhibition. I wouldn't like to take the risk of damaging a hired
antique item like that.

Best wishes

Kev Bailey

N Wales, UK, Zone 9

MSN Messenger 7.5 is now out. Download it for FREE here.
http://messenger.msn.co.uk