Old 18-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Anton Nijhuis

Default [IBC] Obsession and theft

In the recent post about Arthur have a stone missing and others posting
of thefts I would like to ask a question? Is this a typical compulsion
(meaning does it apply to other hobbies arts) or is it only with bonsai.

Over the past year I have encountered several bonsai enthusiasts that
were 'bonsai crazy' for a lack of better words. They have lots of money,
very intelligent, careers and have made many expensive purchases in the
past but for some reason had to steal some trees. The trees that were
stolen had no significant or distinguishing characteristics.
This past weekend a regular customer of the local bonsai nursery went
weird, he was hucking bonsai trees over the fence beside his parked
truck in broad daylight with other customers watching him. He was trying
to fill his pickup with trees without paying for them. The RCMP came and
had the guy in handcuffs but later let him go after he said he would pay
for all of the trees he threw over the fence. The bill came to a few
thousand dollars. Not only that he went back into the store with the
Mounties accompanying him and bought several pots and bags of soil.
There is more he also had a tree with him that he stole the day before,
pruned it, repotted it and then brought it back and asked if the tree
was any good.

I have seen people spend several thousand dollars for a few trees and
then steal a couple of $50 trees all at the same time. They spend hours
sneaking these $50 trees out of the nursery. Switching price tags is
also very popular.

Go figure.

Anton

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Ben Griffin

Oh my gosh i had no idea that theft was such a problem
with bonsai trees. I installed a security camera
recording system earlier this year because i am a bit
paranoid in NYC. But in rural areas i would think it
safe. I guess there is no part of the world safe from
these type of crimes anymore.

Ben

http://shopping.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2003, 03:15 PM
alicia-dr-hankins

hi,
in hawaii, we had 3 bonsai stolen...
the first was devastating...it was my husband's pride and joy...his first
'art' endeavor to try something different than something with 'rules'...
just...poof...gone...we had heard someone the night before jump the back
wall of the townhouse complex...
this was taken off our fenced area, bonsai benches, within the fenced
lanai...
we were sad. my husband just said that he hoped whoever got 'dancing gecko'
took care of it and enjoyed it as much as he did...i was not so
generous...heeheehee
we lost 2 more a few weeks later...
after a group of 'tree trimmers' came by to work on the outside of the
complex...
this time, one of his prized creations, and one of my 'more chinese'
flowering babies...
this time, we viewed it as an honor for someone to steal our
creations...hey, we thought, well...our plants were pretty enough for
someone to actually steal them!
yikes!
smiles,
alicia

p.s. we've made to new orleans! our computer was stolen by the shipping
company...along with all the accessories...so it has taken a while to get a
new one and start all over setting up contacts...
glad to be back...not glad to be in this COLD! i want my tropical sun back!
but, we are in juniper tizzies since they are limited in choice in
hawaii...=)

Subject: [IBC] Obsession and theft

Oh my gosh i had no idea that theft was such a problem
with bonsai trees. I installed a security camera
recording system earlier this year because i am a bit
paranoid in NYC. But in rural areas i would think it
safe. I guess there is no part of the world safe from
these type of crimes anymore.

If something isn't nailed down, there is someone, somewhere, that
will swipe it. And if it IS nailed down, they'll often destroy
it in a fit of pique.
David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Ben Griffin

Rural i would consider anything out of a city .

Ben

http://shopping.yahoo.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:
snip

But in rural areas i would think it
safe.

snip

I'm curious, however, as to what someone from NYC thinks is a
"rural area." ;-)

snip

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -

It all depends on your perspective. I'm about 1 1/4 hours from the city, and I
would imagine that where I am would be considered rural by comparison. Our house
is surrounded by woods on three sides. Behind the house is a large tract of woods
(where I have permission to collect in the spring :-) ). We have neighbors, whose
houses can't be seen except in the winter when the trees are bare. We have deer
running through the yard all the time, and plenty of land for the llamas.

When I was doing organ restoration I delivered an instrument to a customer in
Brooklyn, and asked for the best way to get out of the city. He said he really
couldn't help me, because he didn't own a car and hadn't driven in years although
he had a current driver's license. He said cars were expensive to maintain and
house, and it was much easier to use public transportation or walk. Having grown
up in the suburban part of a small city in Connecticut, I could not understand how
someone could get by without a car.

It all depends on your perspective.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

Old 18-02-2003, 08:51 PM
tbusko1

Hello there,

I know that you can get a device for the VCR that slows the tape recording
up to 12 hours. I used to work for Electronics Boutique, and we had a VCR
connected to some device and hooked up to cameras. Every 12 hours we'd have
to change tapes...and when you would review it, it would be fast cuz it
records in half the time. Hope this may help out and catch those thief’s.
Sorry to hear that.

~Tony

Old 20-02-2003, 08:51 AM
dalecochoy

Old 23-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Alan Walker

Alicia: I hope you have found the Greater New Orleans Bonsai Society. If you
haven't check their web site at: http://www.gnobs.org/
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
================================

Old 30-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Neal Ross

I live in a rural area and had 4 trees stolen back in January. I also have a
security camera installed now. People just don't have any respect for
private property anymore, do they?

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Metal theft and Dates on Cameras 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 0 29-12-2011 09:39 PM
Allotment 'Theft' ? Jim Paterson United Kingdom 2 05-01-2007 09:17 AM
Orchid Photo Theft vortex Orchids 37 21-08-2006 01:00 PM
sago, $$ plant theft, electronic chips and other deterrents. Gardñ@Gardñ.info Gardening 0 23-08-2004 06:49 AM
Garden ornament theft Essjay001 United Kingdom 5 24-04-2003 01:20 AM