Old 09-08-2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchid Photo Theft

Hi all,

I have just discovered a website based in Denmark
(http://www.bc-orchideer.dk/phalaenopsis.html) unlawfully using several
of my orchid photos to sell their orchids. I won't be surprised if they
are also using photos of others too.

I have sent them a warning e-mail demanding that they removed the
photos ASAP and I would suggest others that are also affected do the
same. I'm really pi$$ed off when people stole my photos for commercial
gain. I have given permission to various individuals and organisations
for non-profit use of my photo collection but if they're making money
out of it, I feel that I need to be compensated.

Regards

Nik Fahmi of Vortex's Orchids
(http://zanaf.dyndns.biz)

Old 10-08-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nik,

Relax. If you put your photos on the web they are going to get used by
others... this is 2006, not 1976. Don't be such a whiny naive crybaby.

Mick

=====================

ups.com...

Old 10-08-2006, 07:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi Mick,

I'm cool and definitely not a whiny naive carybaby as you think. I also
have the calendar in front to show me that I'm now in 2006. I know my
pictures will get used one way or another when I put them on the
internet but that doesn't mean that I just sit quietly while another
make $$$ selling orchids using my pictures. You may do just that but
then not everybody is like you, Mick.

Thanks for your comments and peace.

Nik

p/s, I don't frequent the usenet often. I think my posting here and on
other forums have serve their purpose so I won't be adding additional
comments to it. Please privately e-mail me if you wish to exchange
further, hopefully positive discussions on this topic.

Old 12-08-2006, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hey Mick,

Ever heard of the word copyright? Maybe you are in 1976!
Kindly respect people who are ever willing to SHARE infomation and at
the very least, please ask permission first!! Have some courtesy
please.
Whiny naive crybaby? Please be kind and show some respect!!

Goldii

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Vortex, allow me to apologize for the way you have been treated on this
forum. Thanks for the visit and Godspeed.
Joe T
Baytown Tx

Old 15-08-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Come on Mick i am looking forward to your reply!I have been lurking for a
bit,busy doing summer things!Where have all the newbies come from,i thought
i was in another newsgroup!Or have i missed something?
Cheers Keith

oups.com...

Old 16-08-2006, 05:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Keith,

It's nearly useless to respond and say much more than I have already said
especially to this American ass-wiper (ie trying to wipe my ass) Goldii who
thinks copyright protection in the rest of the world means the same as
copyright protection in America (which isn't all that great lately
incidentally). In this scenario we have a Malaysian photographer crying
foul over a swiped a photo by a vendor in Denmark who was a dummy for not
simply inserting a hyperlink in his Denmark website back to Nik's picture to
avoid copyright infringement... but, be that as it may it's history now.
Malaysia has one of the worst records for copyrighted protection/theft in
the world... I will bet you could walk 5 blocks from Nik's home and buy the
pirated DVD copy of Snakes on a Plane for $2 today. I wonder if Nik (or
Goldii) is down at that kiosk in Malaysia also protesting the pirating of
this film on behalf of the American studio that produced it. I doubt it.
But here is an American industry that counts its losses in the billions...
not the $50 or $100 in royalty that Nik lost. I stand by my first
pronouncement that a theft of a photograph on the Internet is the useless
wailing in the dark night of whiny naive crybabies. For every incident of
theft of this one photograph I will bet it was stolen 10 more times that Nik
will never see or find until he can read/Google websites written in Cyrillic
or Chinese. And I know this is happening everywhere... I also put my orchid
photos on the web and I know they are being stolen everyday.

I know the problem in Malaysia of copyright theft used in my example above
was not created or endorsed by Nik and yes it's too bad that his photo got
swiped (boo-hoo), but look at the overall huge scale of
copyright/intellectual property theft on the entire net in 2006... it is an
avalanche and unstoppable. And Goldii remember this, a copyright suit would
cost tens of thousands of dollars to recover a paltry $100 royalty check so
don't throw that sanctimonious crap in my face or the face of people
stealing photos on the net every second of every day... it's a useless wimpy
threat to even bring up in this discussion in 2006. Such a threat of legal
action really has no teeth at all. "I will call the copyright police if you
don't stop using my photograph!"... I am laughing just thinking about
someone with balls enough to say such banal tripe in 2006.

If a person puts his photographs on the net then expect them to be "used" by
others. If a photographer wants to deny that resultant use of his works by
others then he needs to cripple his picture(s) by putting a copyright stripe
through it with a footnote on where to license/buy the original... otherwise
that photographer should go wee-wee all the way home in his own backyard if
he is going to cry thief. All that crying is as significant as a drop in
the ocean nowadays and here on RGO it is downright boring. You all, raise
your hand if you didn't copy a one of Nik's photographs when you went to his
site... it's hard to resist.

Mick

PS, But Nik remember this... and I live by this axiomatic truth... "there
is no such thing as bad publicity (on RGO)". All publicity is good. You
probably got another couple hundred hits on your website over this little
episode and now I am going to get at least 100 more hits on my website in
the next 24 hours... 5 of those people will buy orchid flasks from me.
www.OrchidFlask.com
And hopefully someone bought a few photographs from you too. So keep your
chin up and keep the photographs flying... we all love them. Why hell fire,
I might even "use" one of 'em also on my website. Boo! Ha-ha-ha.

===============

Old 16-08-2006, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dear Micky,

Oh dear! So sorry to have hurt you! But I told you not to move when I
was trying
to wipe your ASS. That was painful wasn't it?

You shoulda mind your own business in the first place! Do you own the
Usenet (RGO)? Now you want to justify the alleged worldwide copyright
problem
for USA? I like you Micky, you can still laugh when we throw crap at
your
face. You are a good sport! Now... keep still.......ready?

Keep it up!

Cheers and love always!
Goldii Syvells

Old 16-08-2006, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mick Fournier wrote:
Keith,

It's nearly useless to respond and say much more than I have already
said
especially to this American ass-wiper (ie trying to wipe my ass) Goldii
who
thinks copyright protection in the rest of the world means the same as
copyright protection in America (which isn't all that great lately
incidentally).

RGO posts, July 2000, 1007.
RGO posts, July 2006, 313.

Orchid sales during that time have shown steady growth.

Joe T
Baytown

Old 16-08-2006, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mick Fournier wrote:
Keith,

It's nearly useless to respond and say much more than I have already
said
especially to this American ass-wiper (ie trying to wipe my ass) Goldii
who
thinks copyright protection in the rest of the world means the same as
copyright protection in America (which isn't all that great lately
incidentally).

RGO posts, July 2000, 1007.
RGO posts, July 2006, 313.

Orchid sales during that time have shown steady growth.

Joe T
Baytown

Snip
RGO posts, July 2000, 1007.
RGO posts, July 2006, 313

What is this?
Keith

Old 17-08-2006, 03:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

RGO posts, author Mick Fournier, July 2000, 21
RGO posts, author Mick Fournier, July 2000, 1

I do not know the orchid sales of Mick Fournier during that time, and
whether or not they have shown a steady growth.

Joe T, what point were you trying to make with these RGO stats?

Joanna

PS: the RGO posts, author Mick Fournier stats quoted above are based on a
search using http://groups.google.com/advanced_search (I don't know what you
were using for your stats Joe T, but groups.google.com returns only 241
results for RGO for 2000, and only 41 in July 2006 -- although I think
groups.google.com returns threads as results and not individual messages, so
that might account for the difference in our stats.

ups.com...

Old 17-08-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Err, correction:

RGO posts, author Mick Fournier, July 2000, 21
RGO posts, author Mick Fournier, July 2006, 1

Post what I think, not what I type!

Joanna

Old 17-08-2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The point is, violations of TOS harm this forum and drive away posters.
I think Mr. Fournier has violated the TOS and wish he would quit doing
that. Years ago I watched RGR Flamed till it was ruined. There are folk
that turn to RGO for help and discussion, that is what they should get.
We all, Experts and Newbies, should provide that. Simple, polite
corrections should should stop OT posts.
Did I make that clear?
Joe T
The data I used came from GOOGLE.

Old 17-08-2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Joe T,

Sorry, but I don't believe that the lower posting rates in RGO are due to
violations of TOS.

http://netscan.research.microsoft.com/ is a tool that allows one to search
for all kinds of interesting statistics about this newsgroup. Among other
things, you can find out there that RGO has been much less active this year
than last year -- for example: using August 1, 2006 to get the statistics
for a year, last year there were 5533, and this year only 2968; in contrast
using August, 1, 2001 to get statistics for a year, 12158 "this year"
(meaning Aug 1, 2001 back to Aug 1, 2000, I think). And yet in February 2001
there was a message to this forum entitled "Why are people so mean on this
forum". I think you will find reading through the archives that this group
has actually become much more tame and friendly to newbies over time rather
than the opposite. RGO used to have some ferocious flame wars, and yet
during those days the number of messages was much higher.

Mick Fournier has been a member of this forum since Jun 19 1997, and in this
time he has been exceedingly rude at times, exceedingly funny at other
times, and given useful information at other times, and sometimes even all
three of these at once, but you cannot blame the declining participation in
this forum on Mick's behavior because then this forum would have had it's
lowest turnout years ago, when Mick's tirades were really ugly. Believe it
or not, Mick seems to have calmed down significantly over the years, and he
is no longer nearly as rude as he used to be. Just read the archives in
groups.google.com searching for group:rec.gardens.orchids author:fournier if
you don't believe me.

So there must be another explanation for decline in participation in this
forum. How about the fact that newsgroups in general are an old mode of
communication? I have not been able to find statistics for all of
Usenet/Newsgroups but I bet that the overall numbers have declined over the
years.

Joanna

oups.com...