Old 24-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Sam Williams

Default [IBC] what fertilizer should I use?

Hello,

This is my second year that I have been able to grow my own material
for bonsai. Last year I didn't use any fertilizer, but I want to get as much
growth as possible this year. I have been told of different fertilizers, but
I am confused on what is really the best and most readily available. I was
told to use a liquid fertilizer for potted trees and a dry one on those in
the ground. My source told me that one must be careful with dry fertilizers
because they can burn the roots. The majority of the trees I am working on
are in the ground. So what do you do with your trees? I appreciate it!

Sam

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 11:25 AM 4/24/03 -0400, Sam Williams wrote:
Last year I didn't use any fertilizer, but I want to get as much
growth as possible this year. I have been told of different fertilizers, but
I am confused on what is really the best and most readily available. I was
told to use a liquid fertilizer for potted trees and a dry one on those in
the ground. My source told me that one must be careful with dry
fertilizers because they can burn the roots. The majority of the trees I
am working on are in the ground. So what do you do with your trees? I
appreciate it!

Sam

Liquid (soluble) fertilizers are probably the safest and easiest to use for
your container plants. Any major brand of 20-20-20 (approximately) with
minor and trace elements will do. Just follow the directions.

Solid or pelletized fertilizers are usually more economical for inground
plants, although liquid fertilizers work just as well and a little faster.
Again, a 20-20-20 or 15-15-15 will be the most common and the best all
around. Many, if not most, solid fertilizers will not contain minor and
trace elements. This is not as important for ground growing, because many
of these elements are available in native soils. Again, follow the
directions and there will be little or no chance of fertilizer burn.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++