Old 27-04-2003, 06:44 PM
kevin bailey

Default [IBC] San Jose Juniper questions

Dunno about bark scrubbing, I've not tried it on mine.

By heavily pinching juvenile needle like growth you can eventually
encourage it to mostly produce mature scale like growth.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM
Andy Rutledge

Hi Dan,

I believe that either you have mischaracterized Mr. Kimura's sentiment or
the statment was taken out of context (or perhaps Mr. Kimura did not express
the fullness of his ideas on the subject). In any event, the polishing of
juniper bark is *not* done only because of the Japanese tradition based on
the quality of sand-scrubbed, coastline junipers. It is done also because
it is beautiful, the contrast that results can bring drama and emphasis to
the composition, it gets rid of the large strips of bark that can destroy a
sense of scale in the composition ,etc...

In other words, this is done for artistic reasons - many and varied ones.
Surely there are some who do it merely to copy the work of others, but this
practice should not define the general aims and effects.

Kind regards,
Andy Rutledge
zone 8, Texas
www.bunjindesign.com/bonsai/

Old 02-05-2003, 01:56 PM
David Crighton

Thanks for all the opinions. Dan provided the answer I was seeking. I
didn't realize the bark on these was valued. Maybe I'll try scrubbing the
bark on something else.

--
David Crighton
Springfield (Illinois) Bonsai Society

Old 03-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Craig Cowing

David Crighton wrote:

Michael,

You don't agree that the bark "ages" quickly and gives the younger trees a
sense of age?

or

You don't agree that the bark is valued more than the scrubbed bark?

I don't think Dan or I were saying the latter.

--
David Crighton
Springfield (Illinois) Bonsai Society

I have a number of junipers of different varieties (sargents, procumbens, Parson's)
and have found that by removing the outer, peeling bark I discover small spots of
shari, the veins of the trunk, etc. which I would say gives the tree more
character than the outer peeling bark. IMHO.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-05-2003, 04:20 AM
Steve wachs

BODY {font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt;}

I have a few San Jose's I prefer not to peel or scrub the old bark. I think
it looks better with the rough looking bark. I don't care for the polished
look.
SteveWLI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Bonsai around San Jose, CA? Michael Gratton Bonsai 2 25-05-2004 03:11 PM
Silver Bismark Palm in San Jose CA Harken Ronstan Gardening 0 04-03-2004 01:42 PM
San Jose Juniper questions DC Bonsai 0 27-04-2003 01:56 PM
San Jose LFS Closing It's Doors Dave Millman Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
Water Hyacinth in San Jose, CA Snooze Ponds 27 15-04-2003 03:21 AM