Old 05-05-2003, 02:20 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] branch building

I Have a chinese elm malsai...(actually not a bad tree for
playing with)
that i've been practicing ramification on. It has about 4

decent branches
on which im trying to develop. I started by removing all the

leggy growth
from last season... which didnt leave a whole lot anywhere. but

the new
growth is quckly popping up everywhere. I remove the small

green buds where
i dont want em. and i clip the new growth back to two small

leaves after
they reach 4 or 6 internodes. alot of the growth (not all )isnt

starting
out on the ends of branches where i would like it.. but

rather... new
shoots keep popping out of the main branch and around the

collars of
branches. should i just keep removing this growth if it isnt

wanted?
how..or can i encourage growth on the ends of branches? and for

how long
should i keep trimming back new growth? what point in the

season should i
just let it grow and make food. It is quite vigorous. maybe too

vigourous?
i feel like i am removing so much growth (becaseu it is not

where i want
it) that it may harm the tree.... but it keeps coming back with

new buds

I sometimes think pinching Chinese elms must be a major reason
for bonsai-related carpel tunnel syndrome ;-) .

But you may not get growth on the ends of branches where you cut
them previously. You may have to be satisfied with letting
something grow NEAR the end of a branch stub, then trimming the
stub (carefully) back to the new growth. These trees sometimes
die back a bit from where the cut occurred, so new growth may be
1/4 inch behind the stub. (But then, sometimes these trees don't
seem to notice that they've been cut back and sprout everywhere.
It may be a cultivar thing.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --