Old 03-06-2003, 05:20 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] bending the trunk

I am working on training a J. Black Pine. I have a very nice speciman,
bought from the nurserey in a 1 gallon pot. The roots are all to one side,
but they are very attractive, and rugged looking. My question is, should i
bend the trunk towards or away from the roots? How would a tree grow in
nature? Thanks a lot. - Colin Horn Orinda, CA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2003, 05:56 AM
MartyWeiser

Colin,

Generally the trunk of the tree will lean away from a one-sided root system.
This can be because (1) the root system is one-sided and the tree was not
well supported on that weak side or (2) there is prevailing wind, avalanche,
or similar that has partially uprooted the tree and caused the strong roots
to become stronger. As a result one-sided root systems are often seen on
wind swept and leaning trees - both in nature and in bonsai. However, in
bonsai you will want to develop a supporting root or two on the weak side if
possible so the tree appears to be well supported by the ground. Of course
there are also bonsai where a rock or small clump of grass are placed one
the weak side of the nebari (root base) to conceal the weak roots and/or
help tell the story - "there are no roots on that side because the tree is
growing against the rock". I like to think about the story that the tree is
trying tell about its life - it looks like you are on the same track.

Marty