Old 03-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Rosemary

I just acquired a rosemary with a spectacular trunk. I dug it
from an OLD garden. Simon and Schuster's Guide to Bonsai has a
bit about Rosemary. BCI's species guide does not. Mr. L's
Indoor Bonsai has a brief paragraph. Period. (So far.)

I seem to recall someone writing an essay on rosemary as bonsai
here some time ago. I didn't save it (apparently). If I'm
recalling rightly, and you're still around, how about repeating
it for us (ME ME ME). Surely YOU saved it.

I seem to recall them not liking the initial dig and am wondering
if I should keep it in a pot with its "native" soil (very fine
sand!) or whether I should plant in the ground, or whether I
should move it to a larger, shallow pot in bonsai soil.

It was in full, spectacular bloom when I dug it, but I have
snipped off all the flowers and much of the foliage (it stood 2
feet tall and 4 feet wide!) It will have to be another "live
oak" style, but a gnarly, twisty live oak.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - This economy
is a wholly owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord
Nelson, 1995

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Ed Trout

Jim,

If my memory serves me right ( and that's asking a lot ), there was an article in Tropical Bonsai magazine ( Mary Miller ) a few years back about rosemary as bonsai. When I get home from work today I'll look and post the issue #.

Best wishes,
Ed Trout

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Edmund L. Castillo

I have a pretty good cascade that I made from a small plant purchased about
three years ago from a nursery that had lots of herbs. It get woody quite
quickly, which is an advantage if you know how you want to train it. It
also grows quite fast. A third advantage is that if you need some
rosemary to put on the leg of lamb, you can just snip off an unnecessary
twig or two and strip the needles off. No need to grind them up. And you
can save them in a glass spice bottle.

Ed Castillo in northwestern Virginia

Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim,

If my memory serves me right ( and that's asking a lot ),

there was an article in Tropical Bonsai magazine ( Mary Miller )
a few years back about rosemary as bonsai. When I get home from
work today I'll look and post the issue #.

Best wishes,
Ed Trout

Thanks, Ed. I'll look for it -- just as I'll have to look for a
copy of "Tropical Bonsai." ;-)

Old 03-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Olde Hippie

Jim, I'll let you sort out what is relative and is not, but I found these
using "rosemary as bonsai" in Google. Some were out of date and others were
404 but these were active today at least.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/n...mary+as+bonsai
http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...6755ae6ecc34b1
b&forumid=15&threadid=491
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rosemary.htm
http://www.bonsaisite.com/faqn3.html

I was searching Google anyway so added this to my searches....if you've
already found them sorry.

Olde Hippie

--
to reply direct remove number from addy

"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts will"
"I prefer to perambulate to the tempo of a different percussionist"
"Stupidity is believing much, while understanding little"
....Charles A. Meyers

Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Jim Lewis

Jim, I'll let you sort out what is relative and is not, but I
found these
using "rosemary as bonsai" in Google. Some were out of date

and others were
404 but these were active today at least.

http://search.gardenweb.com/search/n...mary+as+bonsai

http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/showthre...6755ae6ecc34b1
b&forumid=15&threadid=491
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rosemary.htm
http://www.bonsaisite.com/faqn3.html

I was searching Google anyway so added this to my

searches....if you've
already found them sorry.

Nope. Hadn't googled yet. T'was on my to do list.

Thanks for saving my time. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - "People,
when Columbus discovered this country, it was plum full of nuts
and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just
about all gone." -- Uncle Dave Macon, old-time musician

Old 04-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Claudio Fierro

Jim, that´s for you: at evergreengardenworks.com is an
article about rosemary.
Take a look at this:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/rosemary.htm
Hope it´s ok for you.

Claudio Fierro Neudörfer, Chile (Zone 9).

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

As you know, I'm new at this. However, I read the book "Herbal Bonsai" very
soon after I started and decided to try Rosemary in order to take advantage
of the quick growing aspect of herbal bonsai to maybe learn some thinks in a
somewhat accelerated manner. At any rate, I've got 3 now. They are all
planted in my regular quick draining bonsai soil and doing great. That
first one I purchased was under Metal Halide lights all winter and the
leaves are now about 1/2 to 1/3 the size they were when I first purchased
it. The trunk has nearly doubled in size. I have not tried anything with a
collected Rosemary nor one as large as the one you described - so can't
comment on pot size or root pruning. However, your "regular" soil should be
just fine. From what I've heard, proper watering is the most difficult
thing with Rosemary and the quick draining soil seems to have alleviated
that - for me anyway.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-06-2003, 10:20 PM

writes:

[...]

Hi Jeff,

I have had rosemary bonsai for years. Altho not the same plant. They have a
habit of all of a sudden, for no humanly known reason, to pull a snit and turn
up their toes and die. Purists would say they are not "bonsai", but being in
the south with ficus and all sorts of other "non traditional" bonsai, I ignore.
Drainage is the most important. My rosemary gets the same bonsai soil mix,
the same outdoor light and the same water as everybody else on the benches. And,
you can eat (actually cook with) the cuttings.

Enjoy.

Tom
Tom Zane
100 Gull Cir N