Old 11-06-2003, 06:23 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Air Layering a Jacqueline Hillier Elm

Well, I just finished air layering a Jacqueline Hillier Elm that I recently
purchased. It's a 5 gallon tree and only cost $30. Trunk caliper is about
2 inches at ground level. Since it has 3 very large main branches that are
way too bushy and spread out - I figured I'd try to get 3 extra trees out of
it while still preserving the trunk for future work. Now that I've done it
- I'd like some reassurance that even if the air layers don't take, the main
part of the tree will still be ok! I realize it's a little late to worry
about it after the fact - but I will anyway unless someone eases my fear.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 11-06-2003, 09:20 PM
kevin bailey

Should be fine. Every Elm I've ever done, including J.H. has responded
with a flush of new growth that is so vigorous I can afford to be very
selective about which buds to retain.

I recently lifted a large Elm in a plastic plant pot off the ground and
felt an escape root snap. The half-inch thick root was pulled
thoughtlessly from the soil and I then realised that it had some
potential. I tossed it into a pot with some bonsai soil and forgot about
it. It responded fantastically sending out a ring of new buds all around
the snap point.

These Elms are tough.

Cheers

Kev Bailey

[...]

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' [email protected] Bonsai 7 02-07-2004 04:02 AM
[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' William Valavanis Bonsai 1 21-03-2004 10:15 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 04:06 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 03:56 AM
[IBC] Air layered Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 26-06-2003 12:56 PM