Old 21-03-2004, 04:06 AM
William Valavanis

Default [IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier'

Iris:

Jacqueline Hillier elm is excellent for bonsai, except that it gets red
spider quite readily if not thinned out.

In the next issue of International BONSAI (which I am working on now)
there are two reference articles on this cultivar and covers the
taxonomy, history and training. Both articles were written by
authorities: Walter Pall and Colin Lewis. There is even a full page
color photo of perhaps the finest Jacqueline Hillier elm bonsai.

Also, I have been growing this cultivar for over 20 years and it is
very hardy in Rochester, NY. This year we have received over 119 inches
of snow (not over yet) and have reached a low temperature of -12F.

Hope this helps!
Bill

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-03-2004, 10:15 AM
Ian Young

I have been using JH elms for bonsai for 10 years now, a great little tree.

A word of warning, they are brittle!! So beware when wiring ;-)

They are rapid growers but tend to slow down dramatically when pot bound.

Regards

Ian
www.nibonsaisociety.co.uk

I just acquired a 'Jacqueline Hillier' elm, which is being distributed by

Iseli
Nursery. The latest information I have on taxonomy is that the various
northwestern European elms, including this one, are all Ulmus minor. Is

this
correct?
Also, I would like some opinion on it in bonsai as compared to Chinese

elm,
such as 'Seiju.'
How hardy is it? The tag lists it for Zone 5, but I'm skeptical.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' [email protected] Bonsai 7 02-07-2004 04:02 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 04:06 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 03:56 AM
[IBC] Air layered Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 26-06-2003 12:56 PM
[IBC] Air Layering a Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 11-06-2003 09:20 PM