Old 13-05-2004, 03:03 PM

Default [IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier'

Bill's issue on this tree is not out yet, so I don't know what he has, but
this is what I got when I asked the RHS for the correct name.

The taxonomy of elms is notoriously difficult and it is hard to find two
authorities who agree with one another.* Ulmus x hollandica is believed to be a
hybrid between U. glabra and U. minor, but there may be elements of U. plotii in
its ancestry too.* U. x elegantissima is thought to be a hybrid between U.
glabra and U. plotii.* 'Jacqueline Hillier' was discovered in a garden in
Birmingham, within the natural range of U. plotii, but its parentage is not known
for certain.* On account of the difficulty in determining parentage of hybrid
elms we take a broad view of U. x hollandica to include cultivars which might
have U. plotii in their ancestry.Unfortunately, until more definitive research
is carried out on the taxonomy of hybrid elms, the nomenclature will remain
confused.

All I can add is that it appears to be a tough little plant.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Helena Handbasket

snip

All I can add is that it appears to be a tough little plant.
Iris

I second that. It's one of those little trees that have me leaning more and
more towards elms everyday. I have yet to kill an elm. LOL!

--
katie
zone 6b

Old 13-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Jim Lewis

I second that. It's one of those little trees that have me

leaning more and
more towards elms everyday. I have yet to kill an elm. LOL!

Gee. Now I feel bad. I lost several (bonsai and non-bonsai)
last year in some kind of blight that raged through Tallahassee.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Old 14-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Iris Cohen

It's really sad in this day and age that we can't find effective methods to
deal with blights that cause wide scale destruction.

I must have missed something. I understand 'Jacqueline Hillier' is quite
disease resistant. My 'Seiju' gets leaf gall mites, but they are easily dealt
with by Orthenex.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 14-05-2004, 10:03 PM
Helena Handbasket

It's really sad in this day and age that we can't find effective methods
deal with blights that cause wide scale destruction.

I'm working on it....... I'm working on it......

Nina

You go girl! You go!

--
katie

[IBC] 'Jacqueline Hillier' William Valavanis Bonsai 1 21-03-2004 10:15 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 04:06 AM
'Jacqueline Hillier' Iris Cohen Bonsai 0 21-03-2004 03:56 AM
[IBC] Air layered Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 26-06-2003 12:56 PM
[IBC] Air Layering a Jacqueline Hillier Elm Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 1 11-06-2003 09:20 PM