Old 30-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Kitsune Miko

Default [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai(help?)

Man is the only critter who feels the need to label
things as flowers or weeds.
Farmer's Almanac

I thought this quote appropriate to this thread!

The plants don't care if they are indoor/outdoor. The beginners don't know
indoor/outdoor. I know people who have kept mallsai alive indoors.

"It will die if you don't do the following..." or "This is what needs to be
done to keep it alive..." is much better advice than just, "It will die...".

I don't think telling an apartment dweller to go out and buy a one gallon
can tree that they will need to grow inside is good advice either. There
are plants that will live inside and be shapable. I am thinking of ivy,
false arelia, geraniums as easy plants to maintain and shape indoors. I'm
sure there are other low light tropicals that would also work.

Yes, it is NOT classic bonsai, but it gives someone with and interest and
limited outdoor access a way to start. I think since there folks want to
start, they should be given positive feedback and a path that has some
promise. Most people that get a gift plant really want to keep it
alive. They don't really want to hear that they got a bum gift.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Corcoran. Bil

Luke:

My take on the original question was explaining to a beginner what some
examples of what is generally known as an "indoor bonsai" would be. It
wasn't my intent to spark a debate on what the horticultural definition
of an "indoor" plant may be or if technically any plant can be kept
indoors. I agree with you that such a debate will never end. I was
providing basic beginner info to someone looking to get into our hobby,
nothing more. To give him no answer because of such a potential "indoor
bonsai" debate would be a mistake and to debate it not only does not
help him but only serves to discourage him.

I did mention that indoor and outdoor varies by region and I did mention
where I lived. I did suggest seeking local sources for hardiness as
well. I do still think it is a fair assessment to say in general a
juniper should be kept outdoors and a ficus can be kept indoors. I'm
sure people all over the world can and cannot make some trees live even
if they are outdoors. It is about conditions but for a beginner there
are generalities that can be reasonable statements about plant choices.
More importantly as a beginner it is solid advice to seek out the
correct type of tree until they can learn the conditions that will make
it live or die. Again I was answering a general beginner question on
what "generally" are indoor and outdoor species and not trying to create
the ultimate horticultural definition of where a tree should or can be
grown.

Thanks for replying...very interesting...
wmcorcor

==
== I didn't say that. I said it was a waste of paper if people "argued"
== about which trees are "indoor" and which "outdoor".
==
== Not at all. "Indoor" isn't a universal term. I know people who can't
== keep figs alive through winter in their living rooms while mine
thrive.
== And I don't do anything but water while they mist and wax and
whatnot.
== Their "indoors" differs from mine _a_lot_. Bottomline: it's about
== conditions, not in-/out-doors.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++