Old 30-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Ligustrum indoors

I've checked what few sources I can find on growing Ligustrum
indoors and it appears that it CAN grow there. Ligustrum is one
of the toughest trees around, and will grow where other trees
would give up.

Mr. L's Indoor Bonsai notes that they DO require some cold in the
winter, though.

However, I think I'd recommend that the "easy" asterisk * be
removed from Ligustrum as an indoor tree. It is one of the
absolute easiest outdoor trees (and I'd guess that's why I made
that note), but I'd suspect that because of its propensity for
attracting various sucking insects (especially white flies, but
also aphids and scale) it would be considerable more difficult
indoors.

There also is a reference in the introductory text (near the end)
the refers to them as easy, and I'd zap that, too.

_I_ wouldn't grow Ligustrum indoors, but they I don't grow
anything indoors if I can help it. (I have one quite nice
Tamarindus indica that comes in for December-February.)
Everything else stays out except when the weatherman says
otherwise.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 31-07-2003, 01:22 AM
Anita Hawkins

Jim Lewis wrote:
I've checked what few sources I can find on growing Ligustrum
indoors and it appears that it CAN grow there. Ligustrum is one
of the toughest trees around, and will grow where other trees
would give up.

Agreed on the "tough" part, at least for outdoors, but... I suspect
much of the reason for confusion and "mixed messages' is that
Ligustrum is not "a" species, but rather a *genus*, and therefor many
species. I find nine listed at a glance... about half of which I've
seen used for bonsai (including 3 in my collection! I do like
Liggies). Some are evergreen, others partially or mostly deciduous.

For instance, L. ovalifolium is hardy zones 8-10, and would likely do
better indoors than amurense or vulgare, both hardy to zone 4 or so,
and likely the latter two need a dormant period.

Grow well,
Anita
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
"I like winter trees against the sky, I said.
What does that say about you, she said, that you like
undressed trees. A voyeur."
-from a poem by Kay Cheever

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] ligustrum [and extra added fig question] Nina Shishkoff Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 11:07 AM
[IBC] ligustrum Conor Sipe Bonsai 2 07-01-2004 10:42 AM
[IBC] privets ligustrum Matthew Avritt Bonsai 2 20-09-2003 03:10 AM
[IBC] ligustrum leaves Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 26-07-2003 01:12 PM
[IBC] Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 17-06-2003 07:20 AM