Old 04-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Nevyn

Default My Chinese Elm [Please Help]

Hi Everyone

Im new to Bonsai, only 3 years in the hobby, and my 6yr Chinese Elm
has lost all but 4 leaves, and those leaves have yellowed, except one,
which is green. It is winter here, in Australia, and only certain
trees (not many) loose their leaves... The reason I ask, is that I
have a 6mo's old Chinese Elm seedling,(Two trunked), which has kept
some of its leaves, but theyve stayed green and shiny. What do I do
with my older one, so it doesn't die? Ive not kept it throughb a
winter before. It is outdoors. Do I bring them indoors and keep them
under lighting during the winter? What do I do so its leaves come
back?

Please reply ASAP.

Thank-you.

Nevyn
Old 14-08-2003, 06:32 AM
wsallen

Nevyn wrote in message . ..
Hi Everyone

Im new to Bonsai, only 3 years in the hobby, and my 6yr Chinese Elm
has lost all but 4 leaves, and those leaves have yellowed, except one,
which is green. It is winter here, in Australia, and only certain
trees (not many) loose their leaves... The reason I ask, is that I
have a 6mo's old Chinese Elm seedling,(Two trunked), which has kept
some of its leaves, but theyve stayed green and shiny. What do I do
with my older one, so it doesn't die? Ive not kept it throughb a

Hi Nevyn,

Do you read Katherine Kerr?

I'm in Perth. My elms sometimes lose all their leaves, sometimes put out
*bunches* of new leaves in the *middle* of winter and sometimes lose half
their leaves. I have observed that the thicker the trunk the more likely the
tree is to retain its leaves. An example being my 'big' elm, which when I
planted it 3.5-4 years ago was a 1.5mm twig, the first year it lost
everything - now it is ~2cm wide and does not lose leaves much.

All my elms which retain leaves through winter do not have as many leaves as
in summer.

Yours sound like they're ok. Don't overwater or let it stand where the rain
will overwater for you . Leave it outdoors. BTW which state are you in?

Cheers,
Heidi Aussie

likely culprit for never a Rock Elm seed anymore is Dutch Elm Disease Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Plant Science 1 05-09-2009 11:19 AM
Rock-Elm and Siberian-Elm; slow growth = stronger wood? a_plutonium Plant Science 2 04-05-2007 08:24 AM
Ulmus thomasii, cork elm or rock elm [email protected] Plant Science 3 25-10-2005 08:09 PM
Help Help! Chinese Elm Nevyn Bonsai 10 29-12-2003 03:33 PM
[IBC] My Chinese Elm [Please Help] Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 3 14-08-2003 12:13 PM