Old 10-08-2003, 05:22 AM
MartyWeiser

Default [IBC] White Pine

Iris,

For the collected one that refuses to bud back have you considered making a
literati? Some interesting bends in the trunk and cutting off (possibly
jinning) the lower branches might do the trick. With the longer, softer
foliage of eastern white pine it might make a very graceful tree. However,
the root pruning will probably be a challenge since literati are generally
in smaller pots - it might take several transitional pots.

Marty - after reading all of the other responses

Old 10-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Craig Cowing

MartyWeiser wrote:

Iris,

For the collected one that refuses to bud back have you considered making a
literati? Some interesting bends in the trunk and cutting off (possibly
jinning) the lower branches might do the trick. With the longer, softer
foliage of eastern white pine it might make a very graceful tree. However,
the root pruning will probably be a challenge since literati are generally
in smaller pots - it might take several transitional pots.

Marty - after reading all of the other responses

I've turned one of my collected eastern white pines into a literati. It had a
straight trunk that went out at a 45 degree angle. About 1/3 up the trunk I cut a
large wedge, wrapped the area in raffia, and bent it downward, then put a kink in
the lower 1/3. I'm going to leave it for the rest of the year and check it in the
spring and probably repot. As Marty said, you have to watch the roots. The
foliage on mine is on the outermost 1/3.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++