Old 07-08-2003, 10:02 PM

Default [IBC] White Pine

Well, after nursing the collected seedling along, I gave up. It refuses to
bud back any further. I just bought a nursery pine, in a manageable size, at a
price I can afford. It looks as though it can easily be cut back to bonsai
proportions. The question is scheduling. Can I leave it in the nursery pot or
should I put it in the ground? I will need it in a pot to take it to a workshop in
the fall. Can I do any pruning now? It has pretty close internodes, but too
many branches. Also, the branches need to be shortened. When, if ever, can I
prune the roots?
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Craig Cowing

wrote:

Well, after nursing the collected seedling along, I gave up. It refuses to
bud back any further. I just bought a nursery pine, in a manageable size, at a
price I can afford. It looks as though it can easily be cut back to bonsai
proportions. The question is scheduling. Can I leave it in the nursery pot or
should I put it in the ground? I will need it in a pot to take it to a workshop in
the fall. Can I do any pruning now? It has pretty close internodes, but too
many branches. Also, the branches need to be shortened. When, if ever, can I
prune the roots?
Iris

I understand there are some dwarf cultivars that bud back. Anita Hawkins tells me
she has one. Maybe she could post the cultivar name on the list.

I'd leave it in the nursery pot if it were mine. If you put it in the ground it will
take off so quickly you'll never catch up with it.

My suspicion is you could prune, but you won't get any more growth until next year
other than the setting of next year's buds.

Be careful with the roots. I've worked with a few Eastern White Pines (Pinus
strobus) although all collected specimens, meaning the roots were more sparse. My
guess is a nursery tree will have a better rootball.

Good luck with your experiment. I haven't given up on this species yet--in fact, my
large Pinus strobus is actually beginning to look like something. I'm sure I won't
be able to convince the oldtimers yet.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Martin

If you have an Eastern white pine, you have a headache. Long needles, hard
to transplant, even in spring; and those long internodes you were
mentioning. I dunno what to say.
Transplanting it now is almost a sure loser. If you're taking it to a
workshop next month, try keeping it in its pot or burlap. Work on it at the
workshop, then bury it in the ground for the winter. Next spring you can
put it in a bonsai pot, but you still have to be careful with those ticklish
roots.
Marty
Well, after nursing the collected seedling along, I gave up. It refuses to
bud back any further. I just bought a nursery pine, in a manageable size,

at a
price I can afford. It looks as though it can easily be cut back to bonsai
proportions. The question is scheduling. Can I leave it in the nursery pot

or
should I put it in the ground? I will need it in a pot to take it to a

workshop in
the fall. Can I do any pruning now? It has pretty close internodes, but

too
many branches. Also, the branches need to be shortened. When, if ever, can

prune the roots?
Iris

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 08-08-2003, 02:31 AM
Kitsune Miko

Why not just get used to the tree and get the help you
need at the workshop? I have stuff in nursery cans
for years before I repot. No big deal.

Everytime I do lots to right after purchase dies on
me. So I take my time. I snip gently and fondle the
nebari to figure out front. I have a nice shipaku in
a five gal can. I waited 8 months before doing major
cuts. I thinned, poked, thinned, poked, cut back a
bit more util I decided what I wanted to do. Threw
2/3 of the tree away and picked a new primary branch.
Will probably pot down from 5 gal to large bulb pot
early next spring just before major new growth, get
some fine roots closer in, train for a while, then
find approprate bonsai pot.

You say it has close internodes. Can you see any buds
back at the base of the needles? If you see buds, you
can probably cut back to just before the buds. You
can probably take out extra brances, but I like to
take plants to workshops with options still available.

Kitsune Miko

Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 3:28 PM

Well, after nursing the collected seedling along,

I gave up. It refuses to
bud back any further. I just bought a nursery

pine, in a manageable size,
at a
price I can afford. It looks as though it can

easily be cut back to bonsai
proportions. The question is scheduling. Can I

leave it in the nursery pot
or
should I put it in the ground? I will need it in a

pot to take it to a
workshop in
the fall. Can I do any pruning now? It has pretty

close internodes, but
too
many branches. Also, the branches need to be

shortened. When, if ever, can
prune the roots?
Iris

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike

Page ++++

****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail

+++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page
++++

Old 09-08-2003, 02:36 PM
Craig Cowing

wrote:

In a message dated 8/7/03 7:29:07 PM,
writes:

That's the spirit Iris! Ý People always comment on the long needles
on Pinus strobus and turn around and drool over Ponderosa pines with
needles the same length or longer.

Ponderosa pine exudes a surplus of testosterone, and appeals to a
certain group of male bonsai growers. In general, the white pine group
is softer & more feminine, even when grown in rugged styles.

I would agree with the white pine being softer and more feminine. My
large one is turning out to have a bit of a weeping style. It's very
graceful. Maybe the prejudice against this particular species is that
it is an eastern US species, and not western. It seems as though people
go nuts over trees from the west but pan the material we have here.
Guilt by association.

Oddly enough, I was looking at some recent photos in WABE magazine,
and all the pine trees had their needles sheared like Marine recruits.
I thought they looked dreadful. Yet the Japanese think mud-men are
kitschy. Go figure.
Iris

It's all a matter of taste. We are obviously still in a world-view (in
terms of bonsai) where the Japanese model predominates, especially in
this country. If it's Japanese it's good.

Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Jim Lewis

Thinking of exceptional, does every tree have to be
exceptional, though? Just a thought.

In fact, every tree can NOT be exceptional, because that would
negate the term itself.

However, the possibility should be there; otherwise, why bother?