Old 28-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Peach tree...

Okay, now my peachtree cuttings are also going brown! I suppose
it's not
unusual, how will I know it is still alive and how long should

I check it
for roots. It was taken three weeks back. Our spring is around

the corner.

The thing is I would really like a flowering bonsai, and my

first instinct
was to get a fruit tree. Any suggestions?

There's no point in "checking" for roots. If they have roots,
new growth will appear. If they don't have roots, there will be
no new growth. There's nothing you can do at this point to
change whether they do or don't. So just let them be, do NOT
overwater, and what happens will happen. Fiddling with the
cuttings will guarantee that no roots will be viable.

I just checked and find that Prunus species cuttings do better
when set in summer, so you might try again in January.

If you are not experienced in propagation, it's probably better
to not put all your hopes onto cuttings and invest in a potted
tree or two. Or dig one from the garden. Generally, cherries,
plums or apricots are a better choice for a flowering tree than
the peach, which usually has long (3-5 inches), narrow leaves
that don't seem to want to reduce much.

That said, I have one that I dug from my garden. Now if I can
just get the peach tree borers out . . .

And that's something else you should realize about peaches. They
WILL get borers.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++