Old 29-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Steve Parr

Default [IBC] Spruce Budding

I have a Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) that was styled earlier this year
and it is still in the nursery can it came in. It has already set new buds for
next year, very prolifically I might add.
The needles on several of the existing shoots have died back, but the new buds
are still very plump. There were so many in a few spots that I pinched them
off, they were bright green inside.

Is there a chance that the remaining buds will open, even if the needles on
that shoot have died?

Steve Parr - Cincinnati, Ohio -
USDA Zone 6
"Now who's respon... I say who's responsible for this unwarranted attack on my
person"
Foghorn Leghorn

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Martin

Not much, Steve, but why worry? All those new buds you mentioned should
give you all the growth you'll need.
Marty

Old 29-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Roger Snipes

Steve,

If the buds remain plump and viable, they should open in the spring
regardless of whether the rest of the needles on the twig are there or not.
I have a couple of small blue spruces that I have fiddled with for the last
few years. One year they were attacked by (I think) spider mites. They
lost most of their needles late in the year and over winter, and I pulled
the rest off early in the spring, but the buds remained good, and they
budded out and grew fine in the spring.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

I have a Colorado Blue Spruce (Picea pungens) that was styled earlier this

year
and it is still in the nursery can it came in. It has already set new buds

for
next year, very prolifically I might add.
The needles on several of the existing shoots have died back, but the new

buds
are still very plump. There were so many in a few spots that I pinched

them
off, they were bright green inside.

Is there a chance that the remaining buds will open, even if the needles

on
that shoot have died?

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
[IBC] Back Budding Ben Griffin Bonsai 25 14-03-2004 11:43 PM
[IBC] pinus strobus back budding!! Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 02-07-2003 11:23 PM
[IBC] Root cutts budding Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 21-05-2003 06:44 AM
[IBC] Olive, Olea europea back budding. Alicia Thompson Bonsai 9 09-02-2003 08:01 AM