Old 23-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] club funds

Peter: I hope you and your club are members of Bonsai Clubs International. BCI has
a great little booklet full of ideas for program activities and fund raising.
"Handbook of Program and Activity Ideas for Bonsai Clubs" is a 60 page, 8
1/2 x 11 inch, spiral bound booklet which includes information on planning a
program, presenting slide and video programs, listing of many program ideas for
clubs as well as a listing of many activities for clubs, considerations in
sponsoring a public exhibition of bonsai, ways and means activities, club bulletins
and newsletters, an outline for a child's bonsai workshop and a bonsai basic
teacher's guide. Available for US$12.00 ppd, you can find and order it at:
http://bonsai-bci.com/products.html#anchor1287948 or e-mail Dave Radlinski to order
it at .
I've found that clubs which use their treasury are those which tend to have
the most treasury to use. An active program, as you have figured out, is the key to
a healthy club.
Alan Walker
http://bonsai-bci.com
===============
"Peter K." wrote:
I belong to a local bonsai club. Just wondering if anyone has any good
ideas to boost the clubs funds. We never have any new speakers, only club
members. I would like to find some ways to make money for the club (aside
from raising dues) so we could do more and get some new speakers in. Any
suggestions welcome.
--
Peter Kulibert zone 4a/5b

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-09-2003, 01:36 AM
Kitsune Miko

Our club has Benefit Drawings (California legalese
jargon for raffle). We have monthy ones with
donations from club members. We also have a large
plant sale of mostly donated finished trees at our
annual show.

Kitsune Miko
--- "Peter K." wrote:
I belong to a local bonsai club. Just wondering if
anyone has any good
ideas to boost the clubs funds. We never have any
new speakers, only club
members. I would like to find some ways to make
money for the club (aside
from raising dues) so we could do more and get some
new speakers in. Any
suggestions welcome.

--
Peter Kulibert zone 4a/5b

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale
Cochoy++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 23-09-2003, 01:36 AM
kevin bailey

We raise a small amount reliably by having a raffle every month. Members
donate pre-bonsai or unwanted projects and a few small items are bought
in whenever the chance of a reasonably priced item arises. About thirty
members attend our meets and there are usually 15 to 20 items on the
table so few people are regularly disappointed.

Our library is self financing and turns a small profit. We started with
a few books but invest the proceeds from a small lending fee in buying
more books and magazines. Now we have (too) many, which means that it is
a bit of a chore for the librarian, carting boxes back and forth for the
meetings. It provides a valuable learning resource and also adds a bit
more to the coffers.

When we have an external speaker, we sometimes charge an additional fee
but it's not usually necessary. Many speakers are amenable to their fees
being reduced or even waivered if you offer them the right sort of
hospitality and perhaps the chance of a yamadori, suiseki or other swap
from your area.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

Old 23-09-2003, 02:24 AM
Anita Hawkins

Peter K. wrote:
I belong to a local bonsai club. Just wondering if anyone has any good
ideas to boost the clubs funds. We never have any new speakers, only club
members. I would like to find some ways to make money for the club (aside
from raising dues) so we could do more and get some new speakers in. Any
suggestions welcome.

Hi Peter - yours is surely not the only club in such straits! IBC
members will come up with lots of great ideas for you. Here's some for
starters:

-have members bring in small bonsai-related stuff to raffle at
meetings, this also makes a nice "milling around" coffe hour

-have a club auction (and picnic!) once a year, to auction donated
larger items and trees. Invite neighboring bonsai or garden clubs.

-have club (or individual member) do demo or display at local garden
club or arboretum. Ask for a modest honorarium to be donated to the club

-swap speakers with another club if some not too far away - one of
their folks comes to you, one of yours goes to them, no money need
exchange hands

-consider non-bonsai speakers with relevant topics, i.e. a talk on
diseases and pests by local cooperative extension person

-rather than one "speaker", do a "round-table" amongst members on how
each approaches one topic: winter storage, cutting propagation,
display stands, whatever

-increase membership! same dues x more people = more money

-someone with undeveloped land locally might let the club collect
without charge, but you could ask for a small ($5/tree, $20/person?)
donation from those wishing to dig.

Get BCI's "Handbook of Program and Activity Ideas for Bonsai Clubs"
(just $10+$2 s&h, even the most parsimonious treasurer must agree to
order!) for both fundraising and activity ideas:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/products.html#anchor1295228

Anita
--
Northern Harford County, Maryland, USDA zone 6
Go forth under the open sky, and list

Old 23-09-2003, 02:44 AM
Jim Lewis

I belong to a local bonsai club. Just wondering if anyone has
any good
ideas to boost the clubs funds. We never have any new

speakers, only club
members. I would like to find some ways to make money for the

club (aside
from raising dues) so we could do more and get some new

speakers in. Any
suggestions welcome.

Maybe you could work a deal with a local nursery and do a public
workshop. Get several of their $5.95 one-gallon J.p. nana
junipers, then charge them $8-10 for the workshop -- conducted by
some (or all) of your club membership. It may be a way to pick
up a few bucks as well as a few members. And the nursery may
profit, too.

Old 23-09-2003, 03:09 AM
Jim Dolce

The Bonsai Society of Upstate NY has several different ways we try to
keep our club treasury funded. Like the other clubs that we've heard about,
we raffle off the demo tree after each program. In December, we hold an
annual Holiday Party where we do a brief presentation (usually a slide
show), followed by a Mystery Auction. For the Mystery Auction, we ask
members to donate items that are gift wrapped. We ask the members to
designate whether the mystery item is Bonsai-related or not and then we sit
back and enjoy the surprises. Its sounds a little awkward but its a lot of
fun and we usually raise over $500. And everyone is generally happy with
their purchases.

Each year our club holds an annual exhibition. This year was our 30th.
This has traditionally been more for Bonsai promotion than income
generation, but we usually make a little money on the show.

Each June we hold a normal auction and sale. During this meeting,
members can bring their own bonsai-related materials in to sell outright or
put into our auction. The club keeps 10% of all the proceeds and we usually
have members donate items so we get the full amount.

During regular meetings any member can set up a sales table for
"pre-bonsai" and related materials and again, the club collects 10%.

Over the years we have come pretty close to using up our treasury and so
we have to be careful to balance our programs. We have been very fortunate
and have had speakers from all over the US and around the World many years
now.

We constantly point this out to our members and shamelessly hit them up
for contributions. If they want to have great programs, they have to be
willing to help out with the costs. By keeping our dues down and having
people help out with additional donations and contributions along the way,
we are really having the people that attend the meetings (and benefit the
most) actually help with more of the expenses.

Over the past 2 years we have started distributing our monthly newsletter
via email to save on postage. Every little bit helps...and I hope this
helps too.

Regards,

Jim Dolce

Allotment funds flash United Kingdom 20 09-06-2005 07:03 AM
prizes and funds for natural history research Vr.R.Bejsak-Colloredo-Mansfeld Plant Science 0 25-01-2004 10:35 PM
club funds Peter K. Bonsai 3 24-09-2003 12:35 AM
USFS fire suppression funds gone! Larry Harrell alt.forestry 3 10-08-2003 07:22 PM
And You though the Forest Service Was Short of funds! Aozotorp alt.forestry 13 02-04-2003 11:20 PM