Old 24-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Alan Walker

Default [IBC] FW: [IBC] science fair

I would like all of you to please help me think of a science fair project
that I could do. I want to do something that is related to bonsai, because I love
bonsai so much. I was thinking on the line like the philosophy of bonsai, or
something on that line. But I appreciate every idea that you guys can come up.
Thanks, Luc Tran Zone: 8b
========
OK, hypothesis: Bonsai styles are affected by the culture of the people
doing the Bonsai. You could look at the Chinese tradition, called Penjing, and the
Japanese, Bonsai. You could tie the Chinese tradition to Buddism/Taoism and the
Japanese to Shintoism.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
=======
writes:
Yikes Billy !!
Is this a science project or a doctoral thesis !!!
Mark Hill
===
"Billy M. Rhodes" wrote:
Many science fair projects develop into doctoral thesis. I don't think
this would be too difficult.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
===
Luc Tran wanted a science project, but he wanted to make it philosophical.
I think Billy found a way to bridge the gap with an anthropological approach. He
could also throw in the Vietnamese Hon Non Bo to make it even more interesting.
I think it would be more useful, however, to investigate why Japanese maple
leaves burn so easily. Or establish a scientific repudiation of any of a number of
bonsai myths.
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2003, 02:55 AM
Jay Sinclair

The cultural question is fascinating, of course, but as a judge at the local Science
Fair I can tell you that calling it a science project is a bit of a stretch. It would
be more appropriate as a Social Studies or Art History project.

The suggestions about investigating the causes of leaf and internode reduction, leaf
burning, etc., are much more likely to result in a successful project. I'd certainly
be interested in the results of such a study!

Jay

snip

--
Whenever one comes to close grips with so-called idealism, as in war time, one is
shocked by its rascality.

H. L. Mencken

Old 24-09-2003, 03:20 AM
Alan Walker

Jay: Somehow I just knew that there would probably be a bias toward biological and
physical sciences and against any of the social sciences! ;-)