Old 05-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Allen

Default Wintering my boxwoods and other stuff - Zone 7

I've got 5 fairly large boxwoods, 4 from nursery stock, one from a
construction site. The nursery ones are in 3 gal and 5 gal tree pots.
The one from construction site, i just put directly in the ground as
soon as i got it home. Now, in a sheltered area between houses with
lots of other cover growing around is where i think i want them to
spend the winter.
Question 1. I have access to an unheated greenhouse, but wouldn't
being in the ground be better ?
Question 2. Can i simply bury the pots with my bushes in them ?
Question 3. I've got some healthy boxwood cuttings going in pots.
Should I put these pots in the ground or in the greenhouse?
Question 4. I have several other collected local pre-sai and would
appreciate your advice on each. Greenhouse or Ground?
Privet
Althea
Japanese Maple
Yaupon Holly
Japanese Holly
Juniper - Nanas
Wardii Yew
Thanks in advance for allowing me to pick your brains guys !
Old 07-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Jim Lewis

m...

?
Question 3. I've got some healthy boxwood cuttings going in

pots.
Should I put these pots in the ground or in the greenhouse?
Question 4. I have several other collected local pre-sai and

would
appreciate your advice on each. Greenhouse or Ground?

Question 5: Where ARE you? We cannot advise until we know where
you live and how cold it gets there.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:12 PM
Allen

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message ...
"Allen" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I am in Nashville, TN which i think is Zone 7, hence the title on my
post.
Winter low temps here average around 20 degrees with a January
sometimes getting down to the 'teens and on unusual years as low as 0
but that's rare.
A friend who does this says that he builds a cold frame from concrete
blocks, with air passages in between and wooden lattice on top. The
heavy blocks offer thermal mass that keep things from warming up or
cooling down too quickly.
Once again, thanks for your time, Jim ! You're a huge help to lots
of novices all over the world !

Stuff they never tell you-vegetables and composting stuff Tuckermor Edible Gardening 0 29-11-2004 04:07 PM
Wintering Koi in Pond Zone 5ish Ottawa Canada rob Ponds 12 30-06-2004 03:05 AM
[IBC] Wintering my boxwoods and other stuff - Zone 7 Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 08-10-2003 06:02 PM
boxwoods Patskywriter North Carolina 1 01-05-2003 05:44 PM
take my boxwoods, please! Patskywriter North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:44 PM