Old 03-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Getting started

In a message dated 11/2/2003 9:11:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

My first bonsai
will be a fuscia plant which is no loner needed.

I don't think I have ever seen a Fuscia bonsai. That does not mean it is
impossible.
I think you might benefit from some research/reading before you begin.
If you like looking at and/or printing out Internet pages there are a number
of places on the web with great Bonsai advice.
Check out
www.evergreengardenworks.com. This site has a list of articles on
Bonsai with a number aimed at the beginner.
Most public libraries have a few bonsai books.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Fuchsia are not a "traditional" subject, but they do fairly well. Pick one with small flowers, or it will just look like a gaudy houseplant. There are hundreds of species to choose from.

-Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Theo

I tried once and it got a cold thread and died .. but it was a very young plant
I have seen 2 huge plants with thick trunk over 2 " diameter at 600 ft height
in the Swiss mountains where you have 3-5 months snow ..
I think they put them back in a green house for the winther I see them every year
on their summer terrace
Fucsia is very pretty , sprouts easily from old wood , snaps far too easiy too
and looks very "chinese" the problem is that the new sprouts are very tender and
very sensible to frost it should be easy for you to grow it in Florida theer is
one cultivar use din bonsai taht makes the same sort of chime flowers but white
and I could never see one properly as it looked like fucsia but has another name
styrax japonica ?
http://images.google.ch/images?q=sty...O-8859-1&hl=de
you have some in bonsai as well.. very similar
give a try
Theo

Old 03-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Alan Walker

Tom: Try visiting Kath Van Hanegem's fuchsia bonsai site at
http://www.bonsaigarden.net/ftboncuttings.asp
Or Bonsai Fuchsias by David Choo at
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/bonsaifuchsias.html
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com
==================================
tom wrote:
Hello. I'm new to Bonsai. I've read numerous articles on Bonsai, and
have purchased a book, and am ready to get started. My first bonsai
will be a fuscia plant which is no loner needed. I'm wondering, how I
should start...and even if my choice of plant is good to start with?
This is the plant hereI know the quality is bad)
http://webhome.idirect.com/~tom/bonsai/fuscia001.jpg
Thanks
Tom

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-11-2003, 08:22 PM
rschmitt23

See pp 94-5 of Colin Lewis' excellent "Bonsai Survival Manual" for info on
fuchsia bonsai and a couple of interesting examples. They're regarded as
tender plants even though some varieties show various levels of frost
tolerance. According to the Sunset western garden bible, they are outdoor
plants in zones 15-24. Lewis says that fuchsias need to rest for 3 months at
temperatures between 40-50F.

Later

--
Ray Schmitt, Aliso Viejo, CA
Cold Hardiness Zone 10b

writes:

My first bonsai
will be a fuscia plant which is no loner needed.

I don't think I have ever seen a Fuscia bonsai. That does not mean it is
impossible.
I think you might benefit from some research/reading before you begin.
If you like looking at and/or printing out Internet pages there are a

number
of places on the web with great Bonsai advice.
Check out
www.evergreengardenworks.com. This site has a list of articles
on
Bonsai with a number aimed at the beginner.
Most public libraries have a few bonsai books.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-11-2003, 11:02 PM
tom

Thanks for the info. Those are excellent sites

tom wrote:
Hello. I'm new to Bonsai. I've read numerous articles on Bonsai, and
have purchased a book, and am ready to get started. My first bonsai
will be a fuscia plant which is no loner needed. I'm wondering, how I
should start...and even if my choice of plant is good to start with?
This is the plant hereI know the quality is bad)
http://webhome.idirect.com/~tom/bonsai/fuscia001.jpg
Thanks
Tom

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Getting started questions Chris Solo Bonsai 7 08-01-2004 01:04 AM
Getting started tom Bonsai 0 03-11-2003 02:02 AM
Getting started with fruit trees and bushes sher Edible Gardening 6 10-07-2003 09:56 PM
Getting Started Late with My PONDS Tom La Bron Ponds 0 03-06-2003 06:08 PM
getting started with plants..... jduprie Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:17 AM