Old 25-11-2003, 08:42 PM
Anthony J Thackeray

Default [IBC] Excess water

Hello all
Could some kind person please advise me with regards to my Trident Maple Group of 13 they about 5 yrs old and they stand on a base in the corner of my garden which is in Berkshire England it has rained non stop for the last week and I am wondering weather
to put it in my garden shed to save it getting water logged and rotting the roots is this advisable.Thank you

Tony

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 25-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Craig Cowing

Anthony J Thackeray wrote:

Hello all
Could some kind person please advise me with regards to my Trident Maple Group of 13 they about 5 yrs old and they stand on a base in the corner of my garden which is in Berkshire England it has rained non stop for the last week and I am wondering weath

er to put it in my garden shed to save it getting water logged and rotting the roots is this advisable.Thank you

Tony

Prop up one end of the pot with a brick or something like that. Shallow pots don't drain as well as deeper ones. This will help it drain better. Then put it into winter storage, wherever you do that. I would think it would be about ready for winter any
way.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 25-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello all
Could some kind person please advise me with regards to my
Trident Maple Group of 13 they about 5 yrs old and they stand on
a base in the corner of my garden which is in Berkshire England
it has rained non stop for the last week and I am wondering
weather to put it in my garden shed to save it getting water
logged and rotting the roots is this advisable.Thank you

Tony

=============

If they are in a shallow flat pot (as I suppose they might be)
water won't drain real well. You should keep the pot sitting at
a slight slant -- lengthwise -- to help the water drain to one of
the drainage holes at an end.

Of course, if the maples have lost their leaves, they'll probably
do OK in an unheated shed over the winter. Just don't forget
that they need _occasional_ water.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 26-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Geoff Hobson

Anthony,
I am in Basingstoke and mine are okay. I keep my trees as close to the eaves
of the house as I can partly for rain protection and also for frost
protection. If you can raise the pot off the ground also it will help to
drain away excess water.
Geoff

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Carl Rosner++++
****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (