Old 03-09-2003, 10:13 PM
shazzbat

Default excess tomatoes.

The other thread re tomatoes reminded me of something that happened several
years ago. I happened to acquire(legally, honest) a box of tomatoes from
someone I had done a favour. Many tomato sandwiches later I remarked to
someone at work that we had this excess, and she suggested I make tomato
wine, since I was doing some winemaking at the time. It seemed like a good
idea, so I went ahead. When the wine was ready, instead of being a nice rosy
tomato colour as I expected, it turned out the metallic yellowy green colour
of the fluid around the seeds. It looked disgusting! Tasted nice though.
You just had to drink it with your eyes shut.

Steve

Old 03-09-2003, 11:32 PM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 22:08:18 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

she suggested I make tomato
wine,

I used to make wine and a quote from some radio programme stuck in my
mind............"you can make wine from just about anything except,
God forbid, tomatoes".
I always wondered why!

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-09-2003, 12:02 AM
anne

wrote:

she suggested I make tomato
wine,

I used to make wine and a quote from some radio programme stuck in my
mind............"you can make wine from just about anything except,
God forbid, tomatoes".
I always wondered why!

Pam in Bristol

Can anyone recommend any good books/websites on wine making for a complete
beginner? I'd love to try making wines with some of the stuff I've grown.

Old 04-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend any good books/websites on wine making for a complete
beginner? I'd love to try making wines with some of the stuff I've grown.

First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J.Berry, ISBN 1-85486-139-5

(Now) Published by Nexus Special Interests

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to

Old 04-09-2003, 11:13 PM
anne

Rusty Hinge wrote in message
The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend any good books/websites on wine making for a

complete
beginner? I'd love to try making wines with some of the stuff I've

grown.

First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J.Berry, ISBN 1-85486-139-5

(Now) Published by Nexus Special Interests

Thanks Rusty. Amazon have two left, must be a good book being as it was
first published in 1960 apparently! It's not too outdated is it?

Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message

wrote:

she suggested I make tomato
wine,

I used to make wine and a quote from some radio programme stuck in my
mind............"you can make wine from just about anything except,
God forbid, tomatoes".

...... and oranges, judging from some of the unpasteurised orange
juice that had fermented this summer. YUK!

Well made orange wine is one of the better non-grape wines. That
presupposes that the fermenting was not done by a wild yeast as must have
been the case in your experience, and that the wine had been removed from
the yeast and allowed to mature for at least one year.

Franz

Franz
--
Martin

Old 04-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from martin contains these words:

...... and oranges, judging from some of the unpasteurised orange
juice that had fermented this summer. YUK!

Orange wine is marvellous........

Old 05-09-2003, 12:13 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Thanks Rusty. Amazon have two left, must be a good book being as it was
first published in 1960 apparently! It's not too outdated is it?

No, last revision was very recent. However, the only things which change
are any suppliers' addresses etc. I still use the same recipes for
dandelion wine and parsnip wine I was using in 1950 - except I don't use
bakers' yeast any longer.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"anne" wrote in message

Rusty Hinge wrote in message
The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend any good books/websites on wine making for a

complete
beginner? I'd love to try making wines with some of the stuff I've

grown.

First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J.Berry, ISBN 1-85486-139-5

(Now) Published by Nexus Special Interests

Thanks Rusty. Amazon have two left, must be a good book being as it was
first published in 1960

42 years is as nothing in the history of winemaking

apparently! It's not too outdated is it?

Why on earth should it *ever* get outdated?
It is arguably the best introductory book to home winemaking there is.

Franz.

Old 05-09-2003, 10:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 21:58:46 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

...... and oranges, judging from some of the unpasteurised orange
juice that had fermented this summer. YUK!

Well made orange wine is one of the better non-grape wines. That
presupposes that the fermenting was not done by a wild yeast as must have
been the case in your experience, and that the wine had been removed from
the yeast and allowed to mature for at least one year.

The first one was a bottle of orange juice that was well past it's
sell by date in an "Irish" cafe in York. The second was one litre
plastic carton of unpasteurised orange juice.

There is a difference between fermenting alcohol and common or garden
rotting.
Wine is yeast pee and the stuff you mention is bacterium pee

Franz

Old 05-09-2003, 12:18 PM
Victoria Clare

Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:03:59 +0100

"Franz Heymann" wrote in
:

wrote:

...... and oranges, judging from some of the unpasteurised orange
juice that had fermented this summer. YUK!

Well made orange wine is one of the better non-grape wines.

The first one was a bottle of orange juice that was well past it's
sell by date in an "Irish" cafe in York. The second was one litre
plastic carton of unpasteurised orange juice.

There is a difference between fermenting alcohol and common or garden
rotting.Wine is yeast pee and the stuff you mention is bacterium pee

It can work even in the wild. When I was a student I had some orange juice
that went all fizzy and was really rather good. Yum! (And I survived...
)

That was Tesco's own-brand stuff I think.

Victoria

Old 05-09-2003, 02:22 PM
anne

Franz Heymann wrote in message

"anne" wrote in message

Rusty Hinge wrote in message
The message
from "anne" contains these words:

Can anyone recommend any good books/websites on wine making for a

complete
beginner? I'd love to try making wines with some of the stuff I've

grown.

First Steps in Winemaking by C.J.J.Berry, ISBN 1-85486-139-5

(Now) Published by Nexus Special Interests

Thanks Rusty. Amazon have two left, must be a good book being as it was
first published in 1960

42 years is as nothing in the history of winemaking

apparently! It's not too outdated is it?

Why on earth should it *ever* get outdated?
It is arguably the best introductory book to home winemaking there is.

Well I'm a complete beginner so I don't know these things you see. I do know
that you add a few "powders n potions" though and I wondered if in 1960 they
were using different things to what people use today. It's not quite the
same as a 1960's cook book... well it might be, but anyway that's my
explanation Franz. I am definitely getting the book though, so thanks both
:-)

Franz.