Old 04-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Serissa question continued!

Dear All:
I'm going to jump in here, again! First you have to have some idea
where the Serissa came from. Mine came from Northern California. I
would imagine that not only Serissa, but any other plant that is grown
in a warm climate, is not going to survive outdoors in the colder
temperatures of the northern hemisphere. At least with a gradual chance
to become cold hardy. I am not talking about tropicals per se.

However, we had two mild winters when I first obtained the Serissa. My
Serissa did have a chance to become a little more winter hardy, before
last winter, which was a brutal winter. This past spring the Serissa
came through without any loss of a branch and no die back.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Theo

I do not think that a shrub can become used to a different climate,
either it is in his genes or is not..
you can try as long as you wish a ficus will not get acquinted to cold!
In my opinion Serissa and Google say the Japanese variety is harder (
but I do not remember if is the light pouprle flowers thee one or the
long leaves .. anway they are suppose to resist -10 Celsius so it is
quite a wide range
Theo

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Jim Lewis

Carl L Rosner wrote:

Dear All:
I'm going to jump in here, again! First you have to have

some idea
where the Serissa came from. Mine came from Northern

California. I
would imagine that not only Serissa, but any other plant that

is grown
in a warm climate, is not going to survive outdoors in the

colder
temperatures of the northern hemisphere. At least with a

gradual chance
to become cold hardy. I am not talking about tropicals per

se.

1. Theo . . . Please help us all and remember to snip unneeded
text from your messages. Thanks.

2. Serissa . . . While it is not my favorite plant -- and
definitely not my favorite bonsai -- Serissa are much tougher
(cold hardy) than their reputation would have you believe. Dirr
lists it from the warmer parts of zone 6. That, of course, is
growing in the ground. It does fine in the ground here (zone 8)
and has survived many days of continuous freezing as a hedge
plant, including temps to the low teens (F). If I had one as a
bonsai (and I do not, and unless someone gives me one -- please
don't! -- will not), I would be tempted to leave it out most all
winter, moving it only on the coldest days. And that temptation
would not be from sadism. ;-)

3. Trees acclimatizing to a new area. . . . No, a tropical
isn't going to turn into a temperate zone tree. (Serissa, of
course, are NOT tropicals; they can suffer in parts of zone 10
and above.) But don't expect a tree whose parents came from
Tallahassee to survive in Boston (or vice versa, for that matter,
though the Boston tree will do better here than the Tallahassee
tree will do there) -- even if the species is native to both
areas. Genetics have a local angle, too.

This, as I have said before, is why it is always best to buy
trees from within a zone or two of your own zone.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Why are you guys making me respond to a Serissa question? It's not fair.

Serissas are hardier than you think. I saw some planted at the Bronx botanical garden. That would be zone 6/7.

Nina.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Derek Zieminski

Well, I am only going to put my input in since this conversation has
suprisingly gone on so long and really hasn't gotten anyone anywhere. First of all I
will agree that Serrissa are a much hardier specimen than many think. Just if
you don't know Serissa are a very enjoyable plant that I love to work with
and I have had much success with. I really get a kick out of the whole "shrub"
thing when most of the people on this list refer to Serissa. Just because
many of you have had bad luck with this fine specimen don't t try and condemn the
poor thing.

P.S. Some luck is better than no luck...

Derek Zieminski
Tampa, FL/ Summerville, SC

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Theo

HI
I sow a great wonderful Serissa in a Pharmacy Drugstore they had it
since years it was about 2ft tall and in perfect condition

but the guy regularly was giving it to someone else to take care
and one dai the serissa disappeared .. probably passed over ..
We refer to it as a shrub as it is in that form we can buy it never
has seen one 3 feet hight with a 2-3 " diametre trunk
It is a hightly enjoyable plant I agree but a problematic one
as it is a *shrub* & most of us will have a even stronger
conviction to *baby* it you see what I mean mini leaves mini flowers
frail twigs

and oeverdoing baby care is one of the most lethal things one can
do to a bonsai !

and serissa dislike sultry soil as easily develope rot decay and
love very well drained soil and air and light an not direct sun unless
outside and not in veyr hot hours and stands &love cold as well and
and ... is often the *first* bonsai and hence wrongly considered as
Baby + the Inside kind one
with all consequences that stems from ignorance of its needs and
over care ... and the 2 late ones are the only thing we should
condemn about serissa !
Theo

Old 05-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Theo

HI Jim
I just found that
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/serissa.html

Jim Lewis wrote:

1. Theo . . . Please help us all and remember to snip unneeded
text from your messages. Thanks.

-snip-