Old 03-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] Serissa question

Gary:
If you want more information on Serissa, I suggest you send me a private
Email without the no spam, and I will send you information on Serissa.

Serissa will do much better in the ground, if you are trying to bulk up
the trunk.... I would suggest you let them grow for several years until
you are happy with the trunk size. Then you can start to pot them up
and style them.

Leave some of them in the ground, mulch and protect them. If they
survive your winter, they will reward you with lots of growth. I have a
potential forest growing in the ground for the last four years (Zone
6/7). Every spring, I dig it up, prune out the unwanted trees and turn
it, and place it back into the ground on ceramic tiles.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Gary Woods wrote:

This spring I set a bunch of Serissa cuttings, the results of trimming a
very overgrown small tree, destined with expert help, to be shaped "broom"
fashion, in a nursery bed in the garden.
Despite my customary lack of care, about half of them struck and a dozen
were potted up this fall. Most are 6" or so tall and many are flowering; I
plan to supplement a south window with some fluorescents. They are growing
as they will, which means several leaders in a shrub shape. I'm feeding
lightly and making sure they don't completely dry out between waterings.

Should I do any preliminary trimming, or just aim at getting healthy plants
through the winter?

Thanks,

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 03-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Iris Cohen

Gary Woods wrote:
This spring I set a bunch of Serissa cuttings, the results of trimming a
very overgrown small tree, destined with expert help, to be shaped "broom"
fashion, in a nursery bed in the garden.

Zone 5/6 in upstate New York,

Carl Rosner is in coastal South New Jersey.
I very much doubt that Serissa will survive outdoors in the Albany, NY area.
Has anyone tried it? For Gary, I would recommend potting the Serissas in large
plastic bulb pans, and grow them for several years in an enclosed fluorescent
light garden with controlled humidity. Serissas like cool temperatures and
humidity over 60%. Of course they go outdoors for the summer.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 04-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Theo

HI
I am following this serissa point as most of people are having
problems vith In/outdoor opinion about serissa
I wanted to buy AGAIN one and destiny gave me e chunk
The chunk is inside a pot with no roots just peat and sand will be
outside all winter Geneva Switzerland zone 7
outside for the moment makes 0° C and ALL leaves are green since I
put it in soil more than 1 month ago
I have seen pics of serissas under 4 fingers of snow and it seems
they are great! many french people leave them outside and in belgium
too and it seems they are very strong resisting and bloom
wonderfully in spring !
Theo

Old 04-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Tamarix

Great test. Thanks to let us know the result (both here and frjb please
:-))) at spring ...

Mine is also outside but minimal temperatures are today around 8°C (I
live near Nice - USDA9)

Franck

Gary Woods wrote:

This spring I set a bunch of Serissa cuttings, the results of trimming a
very overgrown small tree, destined with expert help, to be shaped

"broom"
fashion, in a nursery bed in the garden.

Zone 5/6 in upstate New York,

Carl Rosner is in coastal South New Jersey.
I very much doubt that Serissa will survive outdoors in the Albany, NY

area.
Has anyone tried it? For Gary, I would recommend potting the Serissas in

large
plastic bulb pans, and grow them for several years in an enclosed

fluorescent
light garden with controlled humidity. Serissas like cool temperatures

and
humidity over 60%. Of course they go outdoors for the summer.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 04-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Theo

You can bet:-)Frank !
je suis membre de Fr.rec.jardinage.bonsai aussi :-)
Theo

Old 04-12-2003, 09:43 PM
Iris Cohen

The chunk is inside a pot with no roots just peat and sand will be outside
all winter Geneva Switzerland zone 7
outside for the moment makes 0° C (32 F)
I have seen pics of serissas under 4 fingers of snow and it seems they are
great! many french people leave them outside and in belgium too
Of course. That is what I keep telling people who keep them too warm and wonder
why they don't thrive. In this country they are naturalized in the state of
Georgia (Zone 7 to 8).
You can't go by latitude. UK is at the 49th Parallel, but it has a climate
similar to our Pacific Northwest, which is further south. Most of central
Europe is in Zones 5 & 6, even as far north as Finland. Upstate New York is
around the 43rd Parallel, but much colder. Here in Zone 5, our average minimum
winter temperature is -10 to -20 F, -23 to -29 C. Even in Zone 6, which is 10
degrees warmer, I doubt that Serissa would survive outdoors. 4 fingers of snow?
Try a meter or more, with the ground frozen solid.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Theo

HI Iris
Nina answered the question
I agree with you that there are limits to everything I do not think
that a wither like the Canadian one is suitable for Serissa
but Japn is a long cluster of islands with a climate ranging form
Newfoundland to Florida , so you find all temp zones you like and
Beside of Japanese Variety of Serissas that I do not from which part
of japan are native theh others will come most probably from Taiwan
mainland China or Korea and climate there is not always sub tropical
either
4 fingers of snow as I said were on a picture but some people had it
frozen and survived .. and reported a vigorous growth in spring and a
deep greening of leaves plus a bonanza of flowers.....
I was willing to buy one again to make a personal test .. and the
chunk( the cutting gave me a possibility to test without spending 20 $)
I really must be reasonable I have a balcony and the room available
is shrinking you know we are all the same ... just one more the last
one I swear! :-)
Theo

Old 05-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Khaimraj Seepersad

Fascinating folks,

watching this response to a shrub which can handle
snow,and tropical temperatures.Must be the link
for the zones of the world.

My grandfather used to say that Canton had 4 distinct
seasons,and he did live in Canada, for 2 years before
coming down to the West Indies[back in the 1919-I think].
So I would believe him.

It's a beautiful shrub and I am still looking for the largest
trunk possible.I wonder where the oldest plant can be
found?
This is with regards to the narrow thin leaf type,with the
single flower and peeling bark.
The full rose flower doesn't do as well down here.
Once again enjoying the e-mails.
Thank you.
Khaimraj
West Indies/Caribbean
Where the lowlands/ricelands are flooding as the rainy season
begins to end ?????

Old 05-12-2003, 02:13 PM
Iris Cohen

The original Serissa foetida is a native of southern China (zone 9 I believe).
However, according to IPNI, Lamarque listed it from Japan. Most of the fancy
cultivars were developed in Japan.
The bottom line is that Serissa is what our gardeners would call half-hardy. It
does not like severe prolonged heat, and benefits from a cool winter rest. On
the other hand it should not be left outdoors in Northern winters.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Dimitrios Kalderis

I think Serissas are like some people that do not like
surprises but can handle them well when they happen.

BTW, great list, I really enjoy reading the posts.

Dimitris.

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 05-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Derek Zieminski

Gary, I would like to congratulate you, nice cuttings. Their coming along
nicely! I would definitely recommend you trim the bottoms up just a little bit
so the branches are a little bit farther away from the soil. However do leave
a few low because this will allow the nabari to develop and thicken much
quicker. Serissa also heal very nicely in a relatively short period of time,
meaning a growing season they should be mostly covered up. The scares also hide
nicely with the already light colored trunk. Your doing a good job obviously
by not over watering which is the problem most people have with them. Just be
sure to keep the above ground part of the tree humid, which can be done simply
with a water bottle and misting every now and then. I would also recommend
place them in a grossly over sized pot which will and to the thickening and use
a soil that id better draining such as a 50/50 mix of bonsai soil and potting
soil, which does great.

Derek Zieminski
Zone 8A @ home Summerville, SC
Now Tampa, FL for school