Old 13-12-2003, 08:32 PM
Robert Seele

Default [IBC] Rosmarianus christmas tree

I have tried Rosemary several times as I like the extraordinary scent.
So far I have lost all but one. It only has to get too dry once, and
then it is DEAD.

Bob Seele
Nicely outside of Chicago
Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler :
Albert Einstein

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

I have tried Rosemary several times as I like the extraordinary
scent.
So far I have lost all but one. It only has to get too dry

once, and
then it is DEAD.

I keep hearing this. Which is odd, since they come from a fairly
dry climate. If anything, though, my trees are always on the
wetter-than-optimum side, at least in the summer.

I did manage to transplant one rosemary successfully. Last
spring; from a shady part of my garden to a sunny spot. It is
thriving in its new home.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Shelly Hurd

I find this a bit odd too. One of my favorite rosemary plants was in the ground at a house I once lived in. It was in fact the only living thing in the front yard, and was huge. It was watered only as an afterthought when my room mate at the time splash
ed some water it's way after he took care of the vegetable garden we grew instead of lawn. It thrived even in temps that exceeded 100F for weeks at a time. Go figure.

Good luck with yours Jim.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 14-12-2003, 12:07 AM
Bart Thomas

I've looked at some of these (sans decorations) up close. The ones I saw in
the floral shops consisted of many little trees in a clump sheared into a
pine shape.

Hope Jim's is better than that

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Jim Lewis

I've looked at some of these (sans decorations) up close. The
ones I saw in
the floral shops consisted of many little trees in a clump

sheared into a
pine shape.

Hope Jim's is better than that

_Seems_ to be. At least it's only ONE plant.

Old 14-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Jim Lewis

It thrived even in temps that exceeded 100F for weeks at a time.
Go figure.

I suspect that, as in other arid-climate plants, rosemary "in the
ground" have wide-spreading root systems (why they can be hard to
transplant) that seek out and suck up any moisture they can find.
When we plop them into a pot, they're pretty much dependent upon
us to give them their needed drink.