Old 13-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Rosmarianus christmas tree

Well, we were just given a tabletop Christmas tree sculpted from
Rosmarianus officinalis.

It appears to have a fairly nice upright trunk, but when I
started to peek and prod under the ornaments, Jackie scowled at
me.

Not being TOO dense, and since the givers were still here, I
desisted. ;-)

I'm gonna have to convince her that it probably should not be
kept inside through the Holidays -- especially since I'm being
dragged, kicking and screaming, to some &^%$# West Va. ski resort
for Christmas day and we'll be gone for a week or so, leaving
house, cats, horses, and trees under the tender care of a
housesitter (and my wife's dotty aunt, who lives next door).

After the holidays, I suspect I'll be allowed to have my way with
it. Assuming . . .

I'd seen these -- described as a rosemary "topiary" -- at the
local Home Depot.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-12-2003, 05:03 PM
Carl L Rosner

Jim:
Rosemary make nice Shohin Bonsai, I had a nice one until I made the
mistake of repotting it, and I "messed with the roots" That is a no,
no! :-[

Carl

Old 13-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Jim Lewis

Jim:
Rosemary make nice Shohin Bonsai, I had a nice one until I made

the
mistake of repotting it, and I "messed with the roots" That is

a no,
no! :-[

I'll have to repot some time. It is in a quite small pot
already, though.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 13-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Kitsune Miko

--- Jim Lewis wrote:
Jim:
Rosemary make nice Shohin Bonsai, I had a nice one

until I made
the
mistake of repotting it, and I "messed with the

roots" That is
a no,
no! :-[

I'll have to repot some time. It is in a quite
small pot
already, though.

My secret repotting method for those plants with
sensitive roots is to use an old butcher knife someone
gave me and cut the roots slowly over time. I got 5
gal leptosperma (sp?) int a shallow bonsai pot. Took
a couple of years. Cut sides, moving in with
subsequent cuts, cutting one side at a time, then put
slits in can side to cut bottom roots. When I was
finished, there was hardly any disturbance to the
roots left in the new root ball.

I know....I'm not that young any more to wait several
years either.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-12-2003, 06:06 PM
Carl L Rosner

Jim:
My current repotting of the Rosemary is into a larger pot!!! 8-)
Carl

Old 13-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Corcoran. Bil

I received one of those last year. I styled it into what I like to call
my "mostly brown--dig a hole and bury me I'm dead" style.

I can absolutely confirm they don't like:

a) Air Layers
b) Root pruning

Lessons learned for me:

Rosemary is for cooking not bonsai.
They still smell nice even when they are dead

I now have two very happy Rosemary that I use for cooking. I also admit
I frequently rub the leaves and smell my fingers.

Let us know how it goes.

wmcorcor

Old 13-12-2003, 08:02 PM
Chris Cochrane

I am tempted not to spead advice that seems foolish... but since Jim is the
recipient, he should be able to decide whether to follow it or not. Many
years ago a workshop in my club resulted in several very nice Rosemary
bonsai with trunks averaging 3/4" at their largest diameter. The bonsai
which survived longest-- I'd say for over 8 years-- was planted in spaghnum
moss (the Floridian TV host Briah Batchelder's method) while every other
tree in the workshop died by its third year. Mine survived longest of the
"also rans" that were potted, and it received bare bones care with bonsai
soil a little rich with pine bark soil conditioner. This plant was truly a
favorite because of its extraordinary scent, bark & attractive pad foliage.

The Rosemary owner using moss noted that he let it get too dry one day.

'Nuff said... I don't recommend the method, but in this case I have seen a
VERY positive result. The potting was reduced to an elegant proportion
(though slightly deeper than normal potting), & the Rosemary was often among
bonsai featured in club shows though the owner carried more foliage than
other club members recommended for his preference in styling. It held
well-groomed pads of foliage above its lower limbs & a nice, rounded crown.

Best wishes,
Chris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Jim Lewis

I am tempted not to spead advice that seems foolish... but
since Jim is the
recipient, he should be able to decide whether to follow it or

not. Many
years ago a workshop in my club resulted in several very nice

Rosemary
bonsai with trunks averaging 3/4" at their largest diameter.

The bonsai
which survived longest-- I'd say for over 8 years-- was planted

in spaghnum
moss

Very good advice. Of late -- the last 2-3 years -- I've _always_
done the first potting of a tree in a "soil" that is 1/3 to 1/2
chopped FRESH sphagnum moss. Freshly separated air layers get
planted in soil that is up to 2/3 sphagnum. The moss contains
chemicals that promote rooting.

My definition of "fresh" is sphagnum that I have raked out of my
swamp and chopped it while it is still dripping. I keep what I
don't use wet and it stays green indefinitely.

So I'll follow your advice, Chris. This plant already is in a
fairly small (1/2 gal??) pot. It stands about 16" above the pot.
Perhaps I can just spread the roots out in a shallower, wider
container. It is a very dense "tree." At this point -- without
having taken a good look at the branch structure -- it looks like
a candidate for an old IBC Logo tree [= . I'll know more
after all the decorations are off -- and eaten. :=) (Chocolate
bells and kisses).

I have seen photos of some very nice rosemary bonsai.

I tried to transplant a large one last summer (no alternative),
but failed.