Old 14-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] bonsai grapes

I am growing a bonsai vineyard. Cabernet franc. see:
www.spraag.com/africusrex

I am concerned with soil nutrition, especially potassium. Fruit

clusters are
a huge potassium sink. Does anyone have experience with bonsai

grape soil?

Grapes will do fine in a balanced fertilizer (20-20-20) and a
soil that has organic material in it (but still drains well);
finely gound pine/spruce/etc bark would be perfect. You do NOT
want to grow a lot of fruit on a grape bonsai. A few symbolic
berries are fine.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 14-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Jim Lewis

I am growing a bonsai vineyard. Cabernet franc. see:
www.spraag.com/africusrex BRBR

I'm sorry, those are not bonsai, any more than the dwarf apple

trees in an
orchard, or a dwarf potted patio tree, are bonsai. Your project

is commendable,
and I wish you luck, but don't call them bonsai.
Also, we have had some discussion about the so-called bonsai

grape vines from
Harry and David. They are questionable.
Iris,

A "bonsai vineyard" may not be bonsai (and these certainly are
not!), but you CAN make bonsai out of grape vines, Slanting,
windswept and various kinds of cascades are best, and fairly
large trees also are better because of the relatively large
leaves. I have a large (for me) semi cascade of Vitus
rotundifolia (the native grape (muscadine) in my part of the
world) that has promise.

Old 15-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Iris Cohen

A "bonsai vineyard" may not be bonsai (and these certainly are not!)

The gentleman in question was rather miffed and wrote to me, "What I choose to
call the vines is my prerogative."
I had no choice. I referred him to Humpty Dumpty.
"When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it
means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question
is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different
things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be
master—that’s all.”
LEWIS CARROLL (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6, p.
205.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Old 15-12-2003, 01:32 PM
Iris Cohen

A "bonsai vineyard" may not be bonsai (and these certainly are not!)

The gentleman in question was rather miffed and wrote to me, "What I choose to
call the vines is my prerogative."
I had no choice. I referred him to Humpty Dumpty.
"When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it
means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question
is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different
things.” “The question is,” said Humpty Dumpty, “which is to be
master—that’s all.”
LEWIS CARROLL (Charles L. Dodgson), Through the Looking-Glass, chapter 6, p.
205.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

more grapes vs better grapes [email protected][_2_] Gardening 4 08-07-2013 01:10 AM
[IBC] Grapes Kitsune Miko Bonsai 4 06-04-2005 12:55 PM
[IBC] ****X-bonsai (was: [IBC] Bonsai Figurine - Warrios / Samuai / Bushido etc.) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 13-02-2004 03:27 PM
bonsai grapes Jeff Chorniak Bonsai 2 15-12-2003 05:03 PM
[IBC] US vs. European bonsai stundents - was [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy? Marty & Patty Weiser Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 04:25 AM