Old 17-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Gift giving question/need help

I'd like to now ask the group a practical question. Last year
I bought a
small juniper on-line as a gift for my sister in Maryland.

This thrilled
her but a missed watering or two killed it 3 months later. Her

enthusiasm
has not wained so I'd like to help her do it right this year.

My question:
if you had $100.00 to spend on helping a bonsai novice get

started, how
would you spend it?

RUN . . . do not walk to:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ar....php?viewid=14

If that doesn't work it is in the Knowledge Base part of our
website. Address below.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 17-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Henrik Gistvall

KevinH wrote:

Hello to all -
I've been lurking 2 or so years in this group and have benefited
tremendously from the shared wisdom found here. Thank you all so much. At
another time I'll post specifically about my bonsai (a slanted
bougainvillea) and pre-bonsai (black pine).

I'd like to now ask the group a practical question. Last year I bought a
small juniper on-line as a gift for my sister in Maryland. This thrilled
her but a missed watering or two killed it 3 months later. Her enthusiasm
has not wained so I'd like to help her do it right this year. My question:
if you had $100.00 to spend on helping a bonsai novice get started, how
would you spend it? Also, does anyone know of a good Maryland based bonsai
club? She lives outside of Baltimore, near Columbia.

A membership in a club would be a good idea. I would give her a book or
two. One beginners book (make sure you take in concern what type of
climate she can offer the trees, indoors vs outdoors, japanese vs
species found at the local garden center or in the forest) to get her
started and a book with beautiful pictures of bonsai to get her
enthusiastic. Donīt know how much money we have left, maybe a tool or
two like a pair of scissors or a watering can ;-). Another good idea
would be a beginners class, maybe at the local club. I would not buy trees!

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-12-2003, 06:14 PM
KevinH

Henrik Gistvall wrote in message

A membership in a club would be a good idea. I would give her a book or
two. One beginners book (make sure you take in concern what type of
climate she can offer the trees, indoors vs outdoors, japanese vs
species found at the local garden center or in the forest) to get her
started and a book with beautiful pictures of bonsai to get her
enthusiastic. Donīt know how much money we have left, maybe a tool or
two like a pair of scissors or a watering can ;-). Another good idea
would be a beginners class, maybe at the local club. I would not buy

trees!

Thank-you Henrik and Jim for these excellent suggestions. I've decided on
the Sunset book on bonsai, a clipping tool, am looking into classes, and a
gift certificate for $50.00 to a nursery in MD that specializes in bonsai.
While it doesn't have the punch of receiving a live plant in the mail, it
makes a lot more sense. Again, thank you.

Regards,
Kevin - zone 10b

Old 19-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim Lewis

Thank-you Henrik and Jim for these excellent suggestions. I've
decided on
the Sunset book on bonsai, a clipping tool, am looking into

classes, and a
gift certificate for $50.00 to a nursery in MD that specializes

in bonsai.
While it doesn't have the punch of receiving a live plant in

the mail, it
makes a lot more sense. Again, thank you.

Regards,
Kevin - zone 10b

Great! And I hope this represents another convert to bonsai-ism.
;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - VEGETARIAN:
An Indian word meaning "lousy hunter." (Borrowed from a sig by
fellow listowner, Scott Peterson)

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: