Old 27-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] Gift Pot Crazies - Dale, Help

Hi All,
Well I received a bonsai pot this year for the holiday (from my Mother-in-law) like no other to date. It's a nice 6x4x2.5 inch rectangle, and it came with a drainage tray (I guess). The interior of the pot is grooved (like some potters do to claim better
root growth), and has not only drain holes, but wire holes in the corners. It has kind of an odd copper looking glaze, but is certainly useable. Except: The cute little drainage tray is GLUED to the feet of the pot! At first I really thought it was fir
ed this way, but on further inspection, I think it's glue. But it's damn good glue, and hard as hard can get. Thus far, I can't separate the two items. It's slowly making me Crazy (or crazier for those of you who know me on the list).

So, I thought to stick it in the oven, at say 350 degrees or so. Shouldn't hurt the pot right? Not knowing what kind of glue it is I only wonder if the fumes will kill my dog (or okay, other members of the family). Folks, I am open to suggestions as to
separate these two items. I couldn't care less if the tray is damaged, but I would like to save the pot. I could even post pictures of this wonder for the masochists out there ;-) .

Regards from the long winded one,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 27-12-2003, 09:44 PM
sam crowell

If the glue is a cyanoacrylate (superglue) I would recommend repeatedly
brushing the glued areas (or soaking) with acetone or finger nail polish
remover. After about 20 minutes the most intractable super glue usually
becomes gummy blobs. Be aware of the vapor, not great stuff to breathe!

If the glue is like a silicon cement (rubbery), I would take a safety razor
and slowly work it between the glued sections.

Sam Crowell
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Get reliable dial-up Internet access now with our limited-time introductory
offer. http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-12-2003, 09:45 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Why not try warm/hot water first? Soak overnight. Maybe came from the same
people who glue rocks on.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-12-2003, 10:41 PM
MartyWeiser

Shelly,

As several have expressed I would take the solvent approach if you cannot
slip a razor blade into the joint. Warm water is a very good solvent for
lots of different adhesives so I would try it for 24 hours or so. Acetone
is also very good, but the vapors are flammable so keep that in mind and it
is tricky to keep it from evaporating. Others that are good for some
adhesives are mineral spirits (paint thinner) and MEK (nasty stuff, but good
for some adhesives). Even most good epoxies will soften in acetone and/or
MEK. I would use the solvents other than water outside to avoid the fume
buildup.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 28-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Kitsune Miko

Acetone
is also very good, but the vapors are flammable so
keep that in mind and it
is tricky to keep it from evaporating. Others that
are good for some
adhesives are mineral spirits (paint thinner) and
MEK (nasty stuff, but good
for some adhesives).

And Simple Green will clean a brush with dryed oil
paint. You might try that straight first, obnoxious
but not as toxic as some of the others.

Kitsune Miko

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 29-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Shelly Hurd

Well, thanks much for all the ideas. So far I'm still staring at the darn
thing and pondering. FWIW the glue is -Clear- (at first I thought the pot
and tray were one, and glazed together) and somewhat thick. One foot is
held on by about an 1/8th inch drop?, while the other 3 feet have a more
uniform layer around the tip of each foot. The tray has a sticker on the
bottom from Lotus International, and made in China which I think Dale
mentioned (no wire screen attached thank goodness). Frank, no drill press,
but if worse came to worse I can find one to use. Think I'll start simple
(easiest is usually best for me) even though as hard as this stuff is I have
my doubts about soaking in water. I will definitely let Y'All know how I
get them apart, just in case this becomes some kind of shipping trend. ;-)

Regards to all,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 29-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

I don't think you said how large this pot is, but if you have a
large enough cauldron (or pasta pot) put the whole thing in,
cover with water and boil for 10 minutes.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 29-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Tom Stoute

Shelly, here's Lotus' web site with contact numbers ..
http://www.lotus-intl.com/aboutus.asp
hope it sheds some light on the situation ..

peace,
tom stoute
va bch zone 8

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++