Old 18-12-2003, 04:12 AM
luc tran

Default [IBC] was "how to dig"

Hi all,

Well, the place that I saw the tree was in the back of
my school. I can get the principal to sign me a note.
I don't have to worry too much about it. The main
concer is that the trees grows into the rock. And I
don't know how to approach it. And plus I don't know
if this is a good time or not. We just had a cold
front, down to the 20s but it goes up to the 50s in
the afternoon. So I don't know if this is a good time
or not to dig. Winter has been kind of warm. When I
saw the trees, it had hardly any leaves left on it. I
don't know if its in dormant or not. I can wait till
the beginning of Jan to dig. It will probably be
colder than.

Thank you,
Luc Tran
Texas, zone 8b

http://photos.yahoo.com/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-12-2003, 10:03 AM
kevin bailey

It is possible to do it now but the absolute best time (most likely to
succeed) is as the buds just start to swell in Spring.

Collecting out of rock is always difficult and is much more of an
environmental concern. If you manage to collect enough roots you are
going to leave a scar, no matter how careful you are. If the Principal
will be happy with this, then plan ahead and get the right tools. A nail
bar, jemmy, crowbar or whatever you call it will be very helpful for
levering away the rocks. Maybe a heavy hammer, cold chisel and goggle
too. Start wide and work out where the main roots are going. Take
extreme care not to damage them as much as possible. Sometimes you can
be lucky and find that a root mass has been confined in one plane by the
rock structure and lift it out almost entire. Other times there is a
single tap root descending into a crack and it proves impossible to
collect.

Good luck

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Other times there is a
single tap root descending into a crack and it proves

impossible to
collect.

These are the ones you kill because by the time you find that
out, you have disturbed the plant beyond hope of survival. :-(

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)