Old 24-12-2003, 10:02 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Bonsai ? Nursery Report

Seen today in Orlando on a major highway a store selling ?finished? bonsai,
pots, tools, soil, starter plants, etc.
I am looking to buy a Shampaku (sp) Juniper and will probably order some
starter plants from Brent.
However this guy had three in bonsai pots. The smallest was about 10 inches
and priced at $119, he offered to sell it to me for $90. No real styling, some
dead twigs (jin) but no lime sulfur. Checked the soil, it was covered with
pea gravel but below that looked like mud.
A rack of "Japanese" pots inside, but most were Chinese.
He had some Juniperous procumbins "nana" starter plants in two and four inch
liner pots, I didn't ask the price.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
Bonsai Societies of Florida Annual Convention Memorial Day Weekend 2004
Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral, Florida www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 12/24/2003 8:04:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

The thing I find saddest about this is that some well meaning folks,
looking
for the exotic gift will fall prey to this type of scheme. Happens out here
too, I just don't have the heart to check out the stands when I see them.
Happy Holidays to all,
Regards,
Shelly

This is more than a stand. It is a real store.

Old 25-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Carl L Rosner

Shelly, Billy et al:
Last year Jim Lewis wrote a piece about not giving a tree for
Christmas. I obtained permission and sent it to my local newspaper. It
was published and I did receive two phone calls. One from a person who
had received a Mallsai the year before and was keeping it on her TV. She
wondered why the needles had turned brown. :-( The other call was from
an Irate vendor.... :-D

Unfortunately, I did not put that article in the paper this year, but I
think that the article, with Jim's permission, should be sent to every
paper in the US, right after Thanksgiving.....

Happty Holidays to all!

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Shelly Hurd wrote:

Billy,
The thing I find saddest about this is that some well meaning folks, looking
for the exotic gift will fall prey to this type of scheme. Happens out here
too, I just don't have the heart to check out the stands when I see them.
Happy Holidays to all,
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Santa is currently crossing the pond according to NORAD.
Yippee!

Old 25-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Iris Cohen

I sent the article to the local paper, but they didn't print it. I will try a
different tactic next year.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."