Old 07-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

Thanks to those who responded. Michael, I should have been more specific
about the tree I am talking about. For some reason, it is difficult to find
Scotts Pines at the nurseries here. When I did find one, at a decent price,
I bought it. So, it is a nursery plant with a trunk diameter of about 1.5"
and is about 2.5' tall. It has an initial sworl of weak branches and then
slightly above that had a sworl of larger strongly growing branches. The
trunk, of course, is slightly swollen at that point and I'll have to deal
with that at some point. I am contemplating chopping just above the one
branch that have left there and using it as the new leader. This would be
at approximately 1/3 the way up the trunk.

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-01-2004, 10:55 PM
kevin bailey

In that case I'd say go ahead and chop. I've done this with many of mine
of that sort of size.

You are in it for the long haul anyway. If you can plant in the ground
after chopping, giving it a well drained spot in full sun, it will
develop much more rapidly.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

[...]