Old 13-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] {SPAM} [IBC] Email as attachments

At 09:30 PM 2/12/04 -0500, you wrote:

Brent (and all users who's ISP uses Postini as an email filter)

Pacific Net uses a spam filtering system that thinks our bonsai messages are
some form of "Junk Mail" that's being generated by a spam broadcast
generator.
I've just visited the Pacific.net site and it appears they're using the
commercial spam filtering company called "Postini" which will filter
messages that it considers to be a virus, and those email it considers to be
"junk mail" unless you tell it to allow these messages to pass through it's
filters.

Mark

I just went to Postini and checked my settings and addresses. As I thought,
the bonsai listserv address is an approved sender. The weird messages I get
are not quarantined. They are sent on to me, but they have the Spam warning
appended, with whatever the message there was, added as an attachment. I
don't think changing any of my settings is going to make a difference, but
I just contacted the ISP to see if there is anything I can do about it.
They are much more responsive than Postini folks.

This has happened periodically in the past, but has not been a big problem.
Once customer sent me a message that came in this form. I replied that I
couldn't read it and asked him to send only plain text messages, which he
did, and it came through just fine. He was using some sort of MS Outlook
and commented that he had some sort instant email thingy and thought maybe
that was the problem. I wouldn't touch Outlook with a ten foot pole, so I
have no idea what he was talking about, but when he switched to a good old
plain text message, he got through. This is the message that Jim Lewis is
saying as well, and I think it is the best solution to the problem.

Folks: The geegaws, dancing gifs, colored text, and whatever woozles your
system gives you to play with, don't make your thoughts or words one bit
(no pun intented) more intelligent. It just keeps you from communicating to
some us, which was the whole idea in the first place.

Yes, I too, was one of the guys who thought Beta was a superior system and
went that route instead of VHS. I still use an old IBM with Win95,
Quickbooks 99, Wordperfect 8 (6 worked better) and a six year old HotDog
html editor. I run my whole business with this, and it works just fine. I
turn it on, I sit down. I go to work, end of story. Susie, on the other
hand, who just got a shiny new XP machine spends twice as much time just
trying to get it to work than she does in productivity. And just as soon as
she has figured out the latest manifestation of her edu's website where she
posts here online schoolwork, they think up some cool new changes. Of
course they don't work, or are buggy, and she has to go through a whole new
round of brain damage.

I think we need to get our priorities straight.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Default [IBC] Email as attachments

Folks

I am going to repeat Jim's message below. Please take it to heart, and read
my other message. Thanks Jim.

At 09:46 PM 2/12/04 -0500, Jim Lewis wrote:
So.

As I understand it -- and my understanding is quite likely to be
at least partially faulty -- News Groups AND e-mail were
originally designed to pass messages back and forth in TEXT ONLY
FORMAT. Text still is the mail and news Standard. However,
M'soft and others (including Apple) in their "wisdom" have
devised means to send e-mail and news posts in other,
non-standard, formats so that they can be received that way IF
SOMEONE HAS A MAIL OR NEWS READER THAT CAN ACCEPT IT. If not,
they receive a pageful of "Greek" characters, or they get text
(which is nice) but they also get that damned suspicious
attachment.

Old 13-02-2004, 05:54 PM
Kitsune Miko

Now when I send mesasges to a Yahoo group, the message
is convered to text. Can't that be done here as well?

Kitsune Miko
--- Evergreen Gardenworks wrote:
[...]

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

Old 28-07-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen Gardenworks
[...]

I'm an experienced user spam filter user. I used to use SpamInspector, plus used SpamArrest (online server) to add a challenge email step to one of my accounts...
recently I discovered another filter at www.spambully.com
SpamBully was rated BEST BUY in October 2003 WIRED Magazine:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...lay.html?pg=10
I have downloaded trial, and love it!
SpamBully ofr Outlook does it all - I have even been able to delete all of my old, manually entered spam-filtering rules - the Bayesian wizard is phenominal out-of-the-box! Now mine is trained, I am seeing 99%+ accuracy (in fact, for the past 24 hours, I've seen 100% accuracy!)
Attached Images

Old 28-07-2004, 02:42 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

I don't know when this thread started, but there ISN'T any spam
filtering system that doesn't require some kind of input from the
beneficiary. There are basic formulae that filter systems use to
"decide" what is or is not spam. MOST mailing list addresses
will fall within that formulae, if only because of the volume of
mail that comes from that address, so if you belong to a list,
you MUST tell your spam filter that the e-mail is OK from that
address. This is true whether you use an individual program
(Mailwasher, for example) or your ISPs program. Usually it isn't
a big deal and you only need to do it once. (It's always a good
idea to forward your entire addressbook to the filter also.)

[...]

Yes. Email was DESIGNED to be a text only utility. It can be
doctored to send all kinds of crud, cute and semi-cute, but you
limit the people who can read your deathless prose if you use
these "features" -- and you annoy others who may be able to read
it but have to wade through a lot of junque to do it.

Folks: The geegaws, dancing gifs, colored text, and whatever

woozles
your
system gives you to play with, don't make your thoughts or

words one
bit
(no pun intented) more intelligent. It just keeps you from
communicating to
some us, which was the whole idea in the first place.

snip

? Susie, on the
other
hand, who just got a shiny new XP machine spends twice as

much time
just
trying to get it to work than she does in productivity. And

just as
soon as
she has figured out the latest manifestation of her edu's

website
where she
posts here online schoolwork, they think up some cool new

changes.

That is the curse of MIS departments. They always think that
dancing bears are better -- and if they're UNIVERSITY MIS folks,
it's seemingly even worse.

snip

And, to whoever sent this last (below), it sounds like a
commercial to me. Tsk. Tsk.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

I'm an experienced user spam filter user. I used to use

SpamInspector,
plus used SpamArrest (online server) to add a challenge email

step to
one of my accounts...
recently I discovered another filter at
www.spambully.com
SpamBully was rated BEST BUY in October 2003 WIRED Magazine:
http://tinyurl.com/4vh9j
I have downloaded trial, and love it!
SpamBully ofr Outlook does it all - I have even been able to

delete all
of my old, manually entered spam-filtering rules - the Bayesian

wizard
is phenominal out-of-the-box! Now mine is trained, I am seeing

99%+
accuracy (in fact, for the past 24 hours, I've seen 100%

accuracy!)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++