Old 13-02-2004, 01:02 AM
Brent Walston

Default [IBC] {SPAM} [IBC] Email as attachments

Folks

It's beginning to reach epidemic proportions. If it keeps up, I won't be
able to read the list as email. Below is what I am getting. My spam filter
is not supposed to filter List messages, but apparently it is the
attachment or what is interpreted as the attachment that is causing this.
The message comes with an attachment at the bottom that I can't open since
I don't use Bill Gates stuff. The attachment is deleted when I reply. The
only common denominator I see so far is that all the messages come from MS
Outlook Express 6. Sorry, I'm not going to stop using Eudora and expose
myself to even more problems and viruses.

Brent

At 06:54 PM 2/12/04 +0000, you wrote:
Hello,

Pacific.Net's Anti-Spam system believes that the attachment to this
message sent to you

Subject: [IBC] Email as attachments

is Unsolicited Commerial Email (spam).

Unless you are sure that this message is incorrectly thought to be spam,
please delete this message and its attachment without opening it.

Opening spam messages might allow the spammer to verify your email address.
Delivering suspected spam to you as an attachment defeats this common
spammer trick.

Thank you,
Pacific Internet Spamassassin / VirusScanner
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:54:39 -0000
Sender: Internet Bonsai Club
From: "Pedro A.Pereira"

[3992/192]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Gary Marchal

Hi Brent....

I sure know where you're coming from. The viruses from emails have really
messed up my computer, even with so-called Spam filtering and virus
protection. Take a look at what I found and now use:
http://www.interian.com

Best Always

Gary Marchal
http://www.cajunbonsai.com

ic.net...

Old 13-02-2004, 03:03 AM
Mark Hill

Brent (and all users who's ISP uses Postini as an email filter)

Pacific Net uses a spam filtering system that thinks our bonsai messages are
some form of "Junk Mail" that's being generated by a spam broadcast
generator.
I've just visited the Pacific.net site and it appears they're using the
commercial spam filtering company called "Postini" which will filter
messages that it considers to be a virus, and those email it considers to be
"junk mail" unless you tell it to allow these messages to pass through it's
filters.
I suggest you click on the "Postini Login" link on the right side of the
Pacific.net home page www.pacific.net and Login with your user name and
password http://login.postini.com/exec/login. After entering your username
and password, you'll be presented with a column of Virus and "Suspicious
Junk Mail".

Go to the "Suspicious Junk Mail" section and select one of our messages by
placing a check mark in the little box to the left of the message then hit
the "Deliver" button on the bottom of the page. This message will then be
delivered to your email program. The next screen which appears will ask you
if you'd like to approve all future messages from this address by "Selecting
the "Approve" check box allows messages from the selected address to bypass
the junk email filter."
If you place a check mark next to this message then press "Continue", all
future messages from the bonsai group will bypass the filter and be
delivered directly to your email inbox.

Hope this helps.

Mark Hill
Microsoft Associate eXPert
and bonsai enthusiast !!)

PS ..... Don't loose hope. It's not XP that's causing you trouble.

--------------------------------------

Brent wrote in frustration ................

Old 13-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Email as attachments

Greetings...

Well... the group-admin might say something to complete the

following :-)

Change the way of receiving the e-mails from the list to TEXT

only
It worked for me.

I'm no longer "group admin", but . . .

It's probably going to depend on which e-mail program someone
uses. Brent said he used Eudora. I have (but rarely use) the
free version, but it is some different from the paid-for version,
which I have never seen. M'soft's Outlook Express (which I use)
is similar to, but still different from, M'soft's Outlook, which
I deleted from my copy of M'soft's Word because it is the King of
all Virus lures -- EVERYone aims for Outlook. Outlook Express is
vulnerable, too, but I know it well, and take needed precautions.
I didn't need Outlook lurking in the background.

Of course, the Mac is somethin' else entirely. It is pure luck
that Apple computers can send and receive e-mail. (And, we do
not need to hear from irate Macophiles!) Mac formats ARE
different!

Anyway, if you set Outlook Express to receive Text only, that's
what you will get, but in mail from folks who send their e-mail
in HTML or other odd formats (Yahoo/Hotmail/some AOL/MSN/ and
whatever WebTV is these days) you also will get an attachment.
Open it and it is the HTML/(whatever) version of the message.
However, other messages also come with attachments -- sometimes
nasty ones -- so IMHO, folks who send email in other than text
only are doing a great disservice to recipients (in this case,
the list -- which is set up to ONLY accept text messages, hence
[I suspect, but don't know] Brent's mysterious attachments). ALL
mail programs (even Hotmail) can be set to send TEXT only.
(That's how they can claim to comply with "Internet Standards.")

So.

As I understand it -- and my understanding is quite likely to be
at least partially faulty -- News Groups AND e-mail were
originally designed to pass messages back and forth in TEXT ONLY
FORMAT. Text still is the mail and news Standard. However,
M'soft and others (including Apple) in their "wisdom" have
devised means to send e-mail and news posts in other,
non-standard, formats so that they can be received that way IF
SOMEONE HAS A MAIL OR NEWS READER THAT CAN ACCEPT IT. If not,
they receive a pageful of "Greek" characters, or they get text
(which is nice) but they also get that damned suspicious
attachment.

[An aside: I have Outlook Express set to send ALL e-mail with
attachments to a "QUESTIONABLE" folder for careful review when I
have time -- (so a message with an attachment is NOT the way to
get a quick response from me). I know that others do the same
thing. A growing number of these "attached" messages lately have
been IBC messages. The IBC Welcome Message which people should
read (but don't) asks that you set your programs to send TEXT
ONLY. If everyone did that, I think Brent's and my (and others')
problems would be fewer.]

In Outlook Express, that is TOOLS-OPTIONS-SEND then look toward
the bottom of the page to set both mail and news to send TEXT
ONLY! Outlook is similar (I think). Dunno about others, BUT IT
CAN BE DONE -- and should.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -- Bonsai List
manager emeritus

Old 13-02-2004, 02:10 PM
Craig Cowing

Gary Marchal wrote:

Hi Brent....

I sure know where you're coming from. The viruses from emails have really
messed up my computer, even with so-called Spam filtering and virus
protection. Take a look at what I found and now use:
http://www.interian.com

Best Always

Gary Marchal
http://www.cajunbonsai.com

Maybe I shouldn't let out a big secret, but with a Mac viruses are not an issue. I
don't even use virus software.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Mark Hill

Craig Cowing wrote:

"Maybe I shouldn't let out a big secret, but with a Mac viruses are not an
issue. I
don't even use virus software."

Craig;

I realize you're more than happy with your MAC, but don't forget, you're
capable of passing along Trojan Horses, Virus, Worms etc. etc. etc. by
simply forwarding an infected email.

Take my daughter-in-law as an example.
She received a virus from one of her infected clients.
You're correct, didn't bother her MAC at all.
She spread it to all her XP networked partners by forwarding it to them
asking "What's this? It won't run on my computer" !!!!

Took me hours to fix.

The only reason there aren't many MAC virus (Trojan horses, worms, etc) is
because there aren't many MACs.
The legion of virus creators won't waste time writing a virus for a handful
of MAC computers when they can attack hundreds of millions of MS boxes.

I personally believe that virus authors are doing both MS and it's legions
of users a great favor by exposing the shortcomings in the operating systems
and the programs. The more attacks on MS boxes, the stronger MS and it's
users become.

For those of us who choose (or are forced) to run MS computers, I suggest
you keep your anti-virus database updated daily.
I personally use AVG's "Network Edition" to protect my network of MS
computers, by automatically updating my anti-virus database every night at 1
AM, then passing the latest info along to each of my computers.
AVG has a free version at http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php that
works great for personal use.
The secret is to automatically update the database FREQUENTLY.

FYI .... McAfee has a good MAC anti-virus software package called Virex,
that's available on a 60 day free trial basis at
http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_antivirus.html. I've never tried it so I
can't comment on it's usefulness.

Mark Hill

Old 13-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Craig Cowing

Mark Hill wrote:

Craig Cowing wrote:

"Maybe I shouldn't let out a big secret, but with a Mac viruses are not an
issue. I
don't even use virus software."

Craig;

I realize you're more than happy with your MAC, but don't forget, you're
capable of passing along Trojan Horses, Virus, Worms etc. etc. etc. by
simply forwarding an infected email.

snip

Mark Hill

Point well taken, but I don't often forward emails, and I don't ever open an
attachment unless it's something I am expecting. And, I'd never do what you
sister-in-law did.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Craig Cowing

Jim Lewis wrote:

snip
I'm no longer "group admin", but . . .

snip

[...]

I just make my tea first thing in the morning, boot up the MAC computer, and read
my email. Such a tough life you PC users have. ;0}

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Old 13-02-2004, 04:57 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

At 09:30 PM 2/12/04 -0500, you wrote:

Brent (and all users who's ISP uses Postini as an email filter)

Pacific Net uses a spam filtering system that thinks our bonsai messages are
some form of "Junk Mail" that's being generated by a spam broadcast
generator.
I've just visited the Pacific.net site and it appears they're using the
commercial spam filtering company called "Postini" which will filter
messages that it considers to be a virus, and those email it considers to be
"junk mail" unless you tell it to allow these messages to pass through it's
filters.

Mark

I just went to Postini and checked my settings and addresses. As I thought,
the bonsai listserv address is an approved sender. The weird messages I get
are not quarantined. They are sent on to me, but they have the Spam warning
appended, with whatever the message there was, added as an attachment. I
don't think changing any of my settings is going to make a difference, but
I just contacted the ISP to see if there is anything I can do about it.
They are much more responsive than Postini folks.

This has happened periodically in the past, but has not been a big problem.
Once customer sent me a message that came in this form. I replied that I
couldn't read it and asked him to send only plain text messages, which he
did, and it came through just fine. He was using some sort of MS Outlook
and commented that he had some sort instant email thingy and thought maybe
that was the problem. I wouldn't touch Outlook with a ten foot pole, so I
have no idea what he was talking about, but when he switched to a good old
plain text message, he got through. This is the message that Jim Lewis is
saying as well, and I think it is the best solution to the problem.

Folks: The geegaws, dancing gifs, colored text, and whatever woozles your
system gives you to play with, don't make your thoughts or words one bit
(no pun intented) more intelligent. It just keeps you from communicating to
some us, which was the whole idea in the first place.

Yes, I too, was one of the guys who thought Beta was a superior system and
went that route instead of VHS. I still use an old IBM with Win95,
Quickbooks 99, Wordperfect 8 (6 worked better) and a six year old HotDog
html editor. I run my whole business with this, and it works just fine. I
turn it on, I sit down. I go to work, end of story. Susie, on the other
hand, who just got a shiny new XP machine spends twice as much time just
trying to get it to work than she does in productivity. And just as soon as
she has figured out the latest manifestation of her edu's website where she
posts here online schoolwork, they think up some cool new changes. Of
course they don't work, or are buggy, and she has to go through a whole new
round of brain damage.

I think we need to get our priorities straight.

Brent in Northern California
Evergreen Gardenworks USDA Zone 8 Sunset Zone 14

http://www.EvergreenGardenworks.com

Old 13-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Evergreen Gardenworks

Folks

I am going to repeat Jim's message below. Please take it to heart, and read
my other message. Thanks Jim.