Old 18-02-2004, 01:08 AM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] indoor lighting and bonsai

I was going to keep out of this, since I have no experience with growing
juniper indoors, but your reference to Jack Wikle's article prompted me
to respond. It can be done, but it's not necessarily easy. Jack is well
known for his success with indoor bonsai, including species that "can't"
be grown indoors. The same tree can also be seen on p. 87 of Outstanding
American Bonsai, published in 1989. I can personally attest that this
tree is still alive and well, as I've seen it within the last year or
so. I wouldn't recommend this to a beginner, however. Jack, while
justifiably proud of his work, is a refreshingly humble man, and will
freely admit to killing his share of trees while climbing the learning
curve.

Jay

Bill Sikes wrote:

Billy et al!

An older edition of the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's "Indoor Bonsai" had an
extensive article on how to grow ordinarily outdoor bonsai indoors year
round. It required an elaborate, but not difficult, grow-room that had
highly controlled lighting and ventilation, as well as the ability to keep
the humidity at a heightened level. Included as examples were the authors'
10-year-old Juniper procumbens nana and a boxwood. It was interesting to
see these trees and to see their development, then to realize that they had
never been outdoors.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-02-2004, 04:11 PM
Nina Shishkoff

I've seen Jack's set-up, and it is really nice. It's nothing *I* could
set up in my house. I have a uncle-in-law who built a conservatory for
his orchids that would be equally good for junipers, but again, he owns
the house. It would be hard to rig up anything good in an apartment, and I
sense that most people who want to keep outdoor species inside do so
because they have no choice.

Nina

indoor lighting and bonsai Mike Bonsai 3 08-05-2011 07:04 AM
[IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves)1 Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 1 25-03-2004 05:12 PM
[IBC] "Indoor Bonsai" (was: willow leaf bonsai dropping leaves) Jim Lewis Bonsai 3 25-03-2004 04:33 PM
[IBC] Indoor trees (was: [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai (help?)) Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL Bonsai 3 30-07-2003 05:22 PM
[IBC] Indoor trees (was: [IBC] Another beginner to Bonsai(help?)) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 29-07-2003 08:32 PM